+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am reading "Death Echo" by Elisabeth Lowell
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm reading a book about a polygamist with a bunch of wives and 28 children who is carrying on an affair. Kind of crazy, skipping narrators all over the place. If I decide I like it, I'll remember the name and let you know.
    Count your blessings!

I just started "Delivering Happiness" by Tony Hsieh (Zappos' CEO). It's good and a lot of fun to read.

The Lonely Polygamist - not to say that I've decided I like it - I'm having trouble keeping the wives and kids straight. I have the second Outlander book on deck to read next.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3931783;
    The Lonely Polygamist - not to say that I've decided I like it - I'm having trouble keeping the wives and kids straight. I have the second Outlander book on deck to read next.
    Having knocked off all the Outlanders I was looking at that as a possible, but when I read a review that seemed to be saying he had a mid life crisis and an affair I passed it up. Yeah, that will improve your life, fella, add another woman to the mix. I'm assuming it wasn't a gay affair.

I'm reading a couple of books about an Australian "detective" ... a woman, half Aboriginal, half white. Very heavy on the Aussie slang and references, but interesting. Her name is Emily Tempest.

I've got The Passage lined up on Kindle for when I finish te Tempest books....Amazon reviewers commented that they got carpal tunnel from holding the thing so very glad it is on Kindle! Not quite ready for another blockbuster sized book after the Outlanders.
    Last edited by PWS; 06-13-2010 at 11:52 AM.

I just finished "The total Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi. My daughter gave it to me to read and I was really reluctant since it was in cartoon form. Yeah, I know It was actually a great read about a girl growing up in Iran pre-shah, after the restrictive regime, and how she survived, left the country etc. I'm glad I read it, and I learned a lot.

Her Fearful Symmetry. Picked it up because I loved The Time Traveller's Wife - so far I don't like this one quite as much, but I haven't had a chance to pick up the latest Sookie Stackhouse book yet so I need this one for filler.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3933300;
    Her Fearful Symmetry. Picked it up because I loved The Time Traveller's Wife - so far I don't like this one quite as much, but I haven't had a chance to pick up the latest Sookie Stackhouse book yet so I need this one for filler.
    I haven't read the Niffenegger one yet, but it's in the stack, waiting. One of these days.....

Right now, I'm reading Kate White's Over Her Dead Body, which I can only describe as The Devil Wears Prada if Miranda Priestly was murdered 50 pages in. The author is the editor-in-chief at Cosmopolitan, which I'm trying to NOT hold against her - that mag has gone from titillating to just plain trashy. Anyway, the book is fluffy and fun, in spite of the murder.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3932107;
    I just finished "The total Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi. My daughter gave it to me to read and I was really reluctant since it was in cartoon form. Yeah, I know It was actually a great read about a girl growing up in Iran pre-shah, after the restrictive regime, and how she survived, left the country etc. I'm glad I read it, and I learned a lot.
    I loved both of the books also. I had to read the first for class and then went out and read the second on my own because I was so enthralled with the first. It brought a whole new perspective to my education.

I was in B&N this weekend and saw a hardcover that really caught my eye: "Haunt me Still." But, it's the second in a series, and being oh so slightly OCD when it comes to reading, I had to pick up the first book first . So I'm currently reading "Interred with their Bones" by Jennifer Lee Carrell. Love it!! It's sort of like The Da Vinci Code, only the mystery involves Shakespeare. The author has a PhD in English and Literature from Harvard as well as degrees from Oxford and Stanford...so she really knows her stuff. The main character is a former Harvard Shakespeare scholar who is now a theater director, and the story is mainly present day, but occasionally flashes back 400 years to Shakespeare's time. It's fast paced with plenty of action...but the Shakespeare history woven through is really interesting as well. This book has a "Hamlet" theme, while the second book has a Macbeth theme. If you like Da Vinci Code, and enjoy movies like "National Treasure" I would definitely recommend it. But Carrell's a scholar in her own right...you'll actually learn something too. I'm not quite finished it yet, but I'm already looking forward to getting the second book. Yup. In hardcover. It's that good
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread