+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3;3894464;
    I'm a big fan of Mary Higgins Clark, and did it again stayed up all night finishing "The Shadow of Your Smile." I hate that I read all her books in one session. My neighbor just gave me Kitty Kelley's book. (yawn)
    I'm a big fan, too.
    Did not know she had a new book out, so thanks for the heads up.
    I missed she / her daughter at the Festival of Books this year as I have seen them numerous times already through the years.
    I'm going to reserve her new book from the library now. With any luck, I'll be # 456 in line to get it.
    On another note, I'm currently reading Michael Connelly's latest, 9 Dragons. He's one of my faves, too, and it's very hard putting this one down, as well. Surprisingly, though, when I looked up the reviews on it prior to reading, they were not good. I sure hope it doesn't turn nto 1 of those letdown endings. Right now, I'm really enjoying it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Kao

Any Martin Millar fans here?

I've been a fan ever since I read "The Good Fairies of New York." I just finished his gem of a book called "Lonely Werewolf Girl" and fell in love! The sequel is going to be released in August and I can't wait!

I'm about half way through with The Forger's Spell by Edward Dolnick. It's about Vermeer, art forgery and the Nazi plunder of art during WWII. Good stuff and written so well. Dolnick is so good at giving lots of detail, while making it interesting and throwing in some humor too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished The Historian on audio book - 22 CDs!!!! I would love to hear what people thought of the ending in the epilogue. I'll admit I'm very confused. How did she get a book? I must have missed something.
    Count your blessings!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I know I'm very late to read this book, but I just finished "The Lovely Bones". I cried through too much of this book! It made me a bit miserable.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3895986;
    I just finished The Historian on audio book - 22 CDs!!!! I would love to hear what people thought of the ending in the epilogue. I'll admit I'm very confused. How did she get a book? I must have missed something.
    I read the book a few years ago, so I don't remember specifics, but I remember thinking that the end was a complete cop out. I loved the book but felt like Kostova cheaped out on the ending.

Just finished Amanda Quick's (Jayne Ann Krentz) novel "The Burning Lamp", and began last night Charlaine Harris's "Dead In The Family". I enjoyed the Quick book (already on top 10 best seller list), and have been looking forward to Harris's for so long, I hope that it will live up to my expectations!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo over the weekend. I was very relieved that the pace picked up significantly after Blomkvist met Vanger!! I agree with past posters that it was pretty graphic. I typically don't read crime novels so I was afraid I was going to end up with nightmares when I stayed up late reading. Fortunately it never happened. Now I have to decide whether to continue the series...

Based on the rave reviews here I have started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's still early, but I'm enjoying it so far!

I just started the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night - Time.

It seems to have gotten lots of accolades and, so far, I'm finding it hard to wade through.

Anyone read it?
    TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3899921;
    I just started the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night - Time.

It seems to have gotten lots of accolades and, so far, I'm finding it hard to wade through.

Anyone read it?
    TIA
    I got about 1/3 of the way in and just stalled. It ended up getting shuffled back into my pile unfinished. I keep thinking I should go back and finish it up, it's not a very long book...

+ Reply to Thread