+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just started Jack Finney's From Time to Time, which is the sequel to Time and Again, a book I LOVED. This time, Si travels to the early 20th century and ends up on the maiden voyage of the Titanic...and he has to figure out how to keep it from sinking. I'm a fan of time travel fiction and Time and Again is probably my favorite in that genre. I'm only a few pages in, but I'm already remembering how much I loved Finney's writing style. I know I'm in for a treat.

I have Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but haven't even opened it yet. I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I really loved Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and the sequel.

Went to our big Book Festival this weekend.
    What a treat.
    Got to see James Ellroy once again, in person. He was interviewed by Joseph Wambaugh. I've had the pleasure of seeing them both, in person, before. Ellroy is an extremely colorful character to say the least. I also loved the fact that he did not slam any filmmakers who had made movies out of his books. He explained that by saying that he made a lot of money by selling the rights and didn't feel it his right to then complain about it.
    Buzz Aldrin was there, too, though I didn't go to see him. Looks, though, like his stint on DWTS did bring him some new and / or additional fans. I noticed in the book signing area a sign saying that there were no copies left of his book to sell. So, looks like he did well. Good for him.
    We got to see Bret Easton Ellis, as well.
    I happen to like his books, though I realize many may not. Mr. Ellis tends to not participate in these types of events very often, so it was good to see him. He also talked about his books being made into movies and, unlike Ellroy, did do some complaining about them.
    He did mention how he kind of felt sorry for Christian Bale (who first gained prominence in the role of Ameican Psycho's Patrick Bateman).
    He felt that poor Christian keeps playing the same "dark" role in all of his films since that early start! Funny!!
    Also got to see Carol Burnett. What a treat. When they did the Q and A session, one woman made a comment about how Ms. Burnett was one of the last stars who the title "beloved" applied to. Well stated.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Regular

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Your post reminded me that I wanted to post about seeing Anna Quindlen last week on our campus. She's on tour for Every Last One, which sounded like it would be worth reading. However, I would say most of the people at the event were far more interested in asking her about her past columns for the NYT and Newsweek and not so much about her fiction (which has been good but not stellar). Great lady, however, and she's very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3886513;
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Your post reminded me that I wanted to post about seeing Anna Quindlen last week on our campus. She's on tour for Every Last One, which sounded like it would be worth reading. However, I would say most of the people at the event were far more interested in asking her about her past columns for the NYT and Newsweek and not so much about her fiction (which has been good but not stellar). Great lady, however, and she's very funny.
    You're welcome.

And, thanks for the post about Anna Quindlen.
    I have actually read most all of her books and I happen to really like her writing.
    If you ever need a recommendation, just let me know.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

hey Critical... I just finished The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig and I was wondering... does the Eloise/Colin thing drag out through the whole series? I feel like I'm on a commerical break every time I have to read a present day chapter lol
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3892827;
    hey Critical... I just finished The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig and I was wondering... does the Eloise/Colin thing drag out through the whole series? I feel like I'm on a commerical break every time I have to read a present day chapter lol
    She does continue the relationship through the whole series. Can I take the word "drag" to mean that you don't enjoy that part?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's ok but not my favourite part of the books. I didn't enjoy Emerald quite as much as the previous books, not enough espionage for me. I'm looking forward to the Crimson Rose, Mary and Lord Vaughn should be a good match.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Regular

I'm reading a new book called One Good Dog by Susan Wilson. Recommended by IndieBound web site. It's a very fast read but a great story. Now that it's done I return to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I'd never read before.

FORT Fanatic

I'm a big fan of Mary Higgins Clark, and did it again stayed up all night finishing "The Shadow of Your Smile." I hate that I read all her books in one session. My neighbor just gave me Kitty Kelley's book. (yawn)
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

+ Reply to Thread