+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

CCL

Re: What are you reading?

^ First off: the twins - so cute. Secondly, my copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has gone missing. I'm taking it as a sign.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3875873;
    ^ First off: the twins - so cute. Secondly, my copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has gone missing. I'm taking it as a sign.
    Divine intervention?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Fantine;3860683;
    Just finished Edgar Sawtelle, anyone else here read it? I really enjoyed it, could hardly put it down towards the end.
    I read it after my aunt told me it was possibly the best book ever. I plowed through the whole thing and was really enjoying it right up to the end and then felt completely let down by the ending. I felt there were too many small story points that ended up with no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3875169;
    I picked up The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo for the return plane ride thinking I wouldn't have enough to get me through it but then I found the magazine store. I have a strange aversion to reading the book but it seems to be getting a lot of praise which makes me think I should read it...not sure what I'll end up doing.
    I started reading this one a few days ago. I'm finding it a slow start. I wouldn't say I have an aversion, but I'm not getting the great story out of it yet either. At this point I'm just hoping it picks up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3875834;
    2. The main character is a twin. (Ever since my twin girls were born last year, I can't stop reading about other twins.)
    I finished two books recently featuring twins (completely by coincidence). I'm just curious if you have read them. The first was Her Fearful Symmetry, which was a good read but I didn't care all that much for the ending. The second was The Thirteenth Tale, which was a bit slow to start but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 04-13-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Adding additional response to same post

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3875263;
    CCL, I have had a lot of friends / colleagues go on about Girl with Dragon Tattoo. Overall, I did like it and the main character is quite interesting. Mysteries are probably my favorite genre and I don't shy away from gory or violent.
    There are some scenes in the book, however, that even I found disturbing. Surprisingly, most I've talked to who did enjoy the book really do have a problem with graphic violence in books. They didn't seem to mind it, though, in this book.

I think most of us on FORT who've read it did enjoy it, so I hope you'll enjoy it, too.
    My feelings exactly. It took me longer to get through it because of the style of writing - which I found dull. I am glad that I read it, but have no desire to read the two sequels. I don't understand why this particular book is a runaway international best seller but, we don't all enjoy the same things. I do find the authors personal life saga interesting, I am glad that his girlfriend/life partner will not release the final drafted story for publication until she is given the rights to the last manuscript (justice has not been well served so far, IMO).

I am about to read Little Bee by Chris Cleave. I've been on the hold list for a long time and finally my time has come. I am looking forward to it, though I know it has sad parts.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3876076;

I finished two books recently featuring twins (completely by coincidence). I'm just curious if you have read them. The first was Her Fearful Symmetry, which was a good read but I didn't care all that much for the ending. The second was The Thirteenth Tale, which was a bit slow to start but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it!
    Read and liked both of them. (I told you I'm REALLY into books about twins! I probably would have read these two regardless, though.) The Thirteenth Tale is a real treat: atmospheric and with a cosy Gothic vibe. As for Her Fearful Symmetry, I can see why you didn't like the ending. I'm on the fence about it myself. Despite that, I found myself utterly sucked into the story. Loved the melancholy feel of it, and as an Anglophole and former London resident, I adored the fact that it is largely set on Highgate Cemetery.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl
    I am about to read Little Bee by Chris Cleave. I've been on the hold list for a long time and finally my time has come. I am looking forward to it, though I know it has sad parts.
    I read that last year, although the English version which is called The Other hand. I found it very fascinating and intriguing. It helped that the back didn't give anything away and I knew nothing as the story evolved. It's a book that really stays with you, I hope you enjoy it too!
    It was just a random purchase, but a good one.

I'm currently reading The Girl Who played with fire. So far, I'm enjoying it.

I loved it, even though I did know a little something about the story from an Amazon reviewer, it didn't spoil my enjoyment. I guess it was a little less shocking, but your right, it is lingering in my thoughts. Worth the wait!
    Has anyone read the book "Same Kind of Different As Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore? I was about to start it twice before, and other books "on hold" came through from the library, and it was shuffled to another pile, then lost in a pile and recovered. I own a copy and keep wondering if the book in jinxed. I heard that it is a wonderful story based on true life events.....
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I'm just about to crack into The Fire, the sequel to The Eight. I was really looking forward to it because I remember how much I enjoyed reading The Eight twenty years ago. However, I just reread The Eight to refresh the story in my mind and I am now realizing that she is not a very good writer. Good story, bad prose. I kind of knew this since subsequent to my original reading of the book, I picked up everything else she had written from the library and was disappointed in each one. So now I'm kind of dreading reading The Fire, but I'm going to do it anyway. Wish me luck.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I just had my copy of Linda Fairstein's Hell Gate ( her latest) come in, so I started it last night.
    Then, I got an email telling me Michael Connelly's 9 Dragons is ready for me, too.

Yikes - too much to read!

Has anyone read either of the above? Any comments?
    Both are on my fave authors list.
    TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I said this before, but I started Girl/Dragon Tattoo on audio book in the car and then finished it on my Kindle and immediately downloaded the next one. I don't know if I would have made it through the beginning if it hadn't been on CD, but once I got into it, I loved it. Can't wait for the 3rd to come out next month. Several of you have urged me to read The Historian even though the size of it is daunting (especially since I'm used to the Kindle now). Well I have a loooooooong drive coming up this week and found it on CDs at the library! So I'll let it entertain me while I drive and give the book to a friend who's about to start cancer treatment.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread