+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3858040;
    Let me know how you like it! I found it very interesting... based on a real resort during that time in Ohio.
    I liked the book, Wench, and it was interesting. Knowing that is was based on a real resort, there were parts of the book really bothered me and I had hoped it would end differently. I need to put my rose colored glasses back on. What did you think?

FORT Regular

The Postmistress. Another good World War II story.

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3872988;
    The Postmistress. Another good World War II story.
    Loved that one! It was one of my favorites of the last few months.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3869219;
    Almost done The Lake of Dead Languages - it certainly is VERY similar to The Secret History, and it's nearly as hard to put down. I find Jane to be a far more tragic narrator than Tartt's Richard, and the story is making me sad in a way that The Secret History did not. I think that my familiarity with History had me assuming that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Lucy & Matt had an incestuous relationship
    right from the beginning, but maybe that wouldn't be as obvious to someone who hadn't read Tartt's book.
    They are very similar in terms of theme and atmosphere, aren't they? I recently finished Goodman's brand new novel Arcadia Falls which reminded me a lot of her debut novel - and TSH, obviously. It even features a pair of fraternal twins! (Boy and girl, zealous students...)

Right now, I'm reading something completely different but equally unputdownable: Hungry by Crystal Renn. She is probably the best known and highest rated plus-size model working in America today, and was in the headlines after closing Jean-Paul Gaultier's 2006 show. A - gasp! - size 12 on the runway???! Before she became a successful plus-size model, though, she worked as a regular model - and nearly died of anorexia in the process. Her message is an important one, so I don't mind that the style isn't that of, say, Donna Tartt (she did cowrite it with someone). I can't get over the feeling that her story is simplified, though. She literally went from standing on the treadmill for nine (!) hours straight and living on steamed vegetables and sugarfree gum to enjoying all the foods she wanted and loving herself the way nature intended her to look. As someone who has struggled with weight and body image myself - although certainly not to the same extent - I can't help but feel that the super-happy ending rings a bit false. But maybe that's just the cynic in me talking.

Either way, if you're intrigued/disgusted by the fashion world - ooops, I just described the typical ANTM viewer, didn't I - do pick this up. It's definitely thought provoking, and I hope that teenage girls read it and feel better about themselves not being a negative 0 afterwards.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Regular

"Hungry" is on my to-read list. A co-worker of mine also really liked it. Thanks for the review.

Just finished Patricia Briggs Silver Bourne, the next book in her Mercy Thompson series. I like how she takes a very complex world with different rules and behaviors for various types of supernaturals and makes it very easy to understand.

Ilona Andrews, On The Edge. Love this book I keep picking it up and reading various passages. I would call this a suburban fantasy vs an urban fantasy.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3870016;
    Kiz - isn't it great! I just read Outlander for the first time a few months ago. I'm on the 4th book now, Drums of Autumn. Feel free to join us on the Diana Gabaldon thread, I know they are trying to make the movie, so I'm really interested in who they cast as the one and only Jamie Fraser!
    I only have 70 pages left in Voyager, and then I'll be on Drums of Autumn too. I took Voyager on a beach vacation last week, and it made the perfect island read.

Thanks for the heads up on Gabaldon thread! I also didn't know that there is a possible Outlander movie in the works...Jamie...
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

CCL

I read a couple of the Lacey Smithsonian/Crime of Fashion mystery books during my vacation. They were fun, easy reads.

I picked up The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo for the return plane ride thinking I wouldn't have enough to get me through it but then I found the magazine store. I have a strange aversion to reading the book but it seems to be getting a lot of praise which makes me think I should read it...not sure what I'll end up doing.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

CCL, I have had a lot of friends / colleagues go on about Girl with Dragon Tattoo. Overall, I did like it and the main character is quite interesting. Mysteries are probably my favorite genre and I don't shy away from gory or violent.
    There are some scenes in the book, however, that even I found disturbing. Surprisingly, most I've talked to who did enjoy the book really do have a problem with graphic violence in books. They didn't seem to mind it, though, in this book.

I think most of us on FORT who've read it did enjoy it, so I hope you'll enjoy it, too.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3875169;
    I read a couple of the Lacey Smithsonian/Crime of Fashion mystery books during my vacation. They were fun, easy reads.

I picked up The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo for the return plane ride thinking I wouldn't have enough to get me through it but then I found the magazine store. I have a strange aversion to reading the book but it seems to be getting a lot of praise which makes me think I should read it...not sure what I'll end up doing.
    CCL, I'm probably the only adult Swede with literary skills who hasn't read the Millennium books. I tried reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but found the language mechanical and dull. I just don't believe the hype. The movies are decent, though. In other words: your aversion? Not so strange in my humble opinion. But then again, I'm ever the sceptic when it comes to big hypes and blockbusters.

As for what I'm reading right now, it's The Opposite of Me by Sarah Pekkanen. I picked it on based on two things:

1. It comes highly praised by Jennifer Weiner. (I have yet to read a book recommended by Jennifer Weiner that I didn't like.)
    2. The main character is a twin. (Ever since my twin girls were born last year, I can't stop reading about other twins.)

Two thirds in, I'm enjoying myself. It's funny, touching, well-written and light without borderlining vacuous (which some other, less well-written, chick lit novels tend to do) and I find the protagonist deeply sympathetic. Oddly enough, the writing style reminds me a bit of Jennifer Weiner herself. If you like your chick lit warm and funny with a touch of sardonic wit, do read The Opposite of Me.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 04-13-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Edited because I had to google "protagonist" to make sure I knew how to spell it correctly. Turns out, I did. Ah well.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread