+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just started listening to the newest in the Plum series in my car. I read all the others in one fell swoop a couple of years ago. I always have one audio book and one Kindle book going now. Crazy.
    Count your blessings!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I just finished "Heresy" by Parris. It is the story of an ex-monk playing detective at Oxford university during the time of Queen Elizabeth. Meh....it was okay. I thought the story line of him looking for an ancient book that would blow all religions out of the water, and teach people how to become Gods of their own planets, was kind of stupid. And, it borrowed some Mormon theology there too. The murder mystery was ok. But, not great when things work out too obviously. I want a twist that totally blows my mind. I don't want to figure it out before the detective and read a predictable ending.

I just finished "Pope Joan". It was good, but I like happier endings. I guess you don't get many of those in the middle ages, huh?

`Dark Lover' the biography about Rudolph Valentino. It's incredibly interesting and researched so thoroughly, putting to rest all sorts of gossip and heresay. The author, whose name i can't recall right now, has done a brilliant job of recreating the atmosphere of Hollywood in it's infancy and America's prejudice against Southern Italians (which Rudy was) during that time frame. She also writes about how American men hated Valentino and stuck him with the `pansy' label because they had no concept about how men in other cultures, approached romance and love. American women loved Valentino precisely because he wasn't like their husbands and boyfriends in that he understood the way females thought and felt so he was able to react to that in a very open and demonstrative way, something he learned growing up in Italy. He was a very complex person, as well. With so many wide spread interests, from agriculture to dancing to auto mechanics to opera to boxing, that he truly was a renissence man.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

OMG

Valentino was my grandma's favorite when she was young.
    She named my uncle after him.

I may have to read that book.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3857873;
    The Secret History? That sold me on it. I put holds on both those titles at the library, though Arcadia Falls isn't available yet.
    Almost done The Lake of Dead Languages - it certainly is VERY similar to The Secret History, and it's nearly as hard to put down. I find Jane to be a far more tragic narrator than Tartt's Richard, and the story is making me sad in a way that The Secret History did not. I think that my familiarity with History had me assuming that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Lucy & Matt had an incestuous relationship
    right from the beginning, but maybe that wouldn't be as obvious to someone who hadn't read Tartt's book.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3869209;
    OMG

Valentino was my grandma's favorite when she was young.
    She named my uncle after him.

I may have to read that book.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    You are welcome
    The author is Emily Leider
    I had never seen Valentino on screen until a couple of months ago. A very old, intimate theater in a nearby town showed The Sheik and The Son Of The Sheik (on Valentimes day ), complete with live music. They have silent movie Sunday once a month so it's always a lot of fun to go and experience these old movies the way people did when the movies were first released.
    Your grandmother has good taste. The man is totally swoon worthy
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;3869788;
    You are welcome
    The author is Emily Leider
    I had never seen Valentino on screen until a couple of months ago. A very old, intimate theater in a nearby town showed The Sheik and The Son Of The Sheik (on Valentimes day ), complete with live music. They have silent movie Sunday once a month so it's always a lot of fun to go and experience these old movies the way people did when the movies were first released.
    Your grandmother has good taste. The man is totally swoon worthy
    THanks.

Yes, she totally swooned at him. And, every other woman in the theater did.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3862872;
    I just started reading Outlander, the first of a series by Diana Gabaldon, and am almost done. Basically, I've been reading it round the clock, and loving every minute of it. I did a quick thread search, and I've found that several of you have read the series. Boy, am I glad I didn't know about this book when it was first published, Now, I can read one book right after the next. I have very little patience for waiting. (lol)
    Kiz - isn't it great! I just read Outlander for the first time a few months ago. I'm on the 4th book now, Drums of Autumn. Feel free to join us on the Diana Gabaldon thread, I know they are trying to make the movie, so I'm really interested in who they cast as the one and only Jamie Fraser!

Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen. I love her books so much that I reread them probably once per year. Northanger Abbey is not my favorite, but I needed and Austen fix.

+ Reply to Thread