+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by homeontherange;3858173;
    I'm reading Panama Fever by Matthew Parker. About the building of the Panama Canal and the events leading up to and during. I'm about 1/2 way through and its an excellent read ...very interesting. I love history so I really enjoy these kinds of books.
    I just read a really great history book about the Cuban Missile Crisis that I couldn't put down. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you the title and author.

Just finished Edgar Sawtelle, anyone else here read it? I really enjoyed it, could hardly put it down towards the end.
    "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole" Roger Caras

I am the only one on the planet who didn't care for that book. But then, I knew it was based on Hamlet and I read it anyway.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3860975;
    I am the only one on the planet who didn't care for that book. But then, I knew it was based on Hamlet and I read it anyway.
    No, you are not alone. I know exactly how it would be and and read it anyway. I am not sure what I expected to happen, but I stuck with it as if there would be this uplifting twist at the end.

I am reading "The Spellmans Strike Again" by Lisa Lutz.
    For anyone unfamiliar with this series, think very funny, enjoyable reads. As funny as Evanovich, but very different........ even though the family is dysfunctional. I love each and every character in the series. Each book is even better then the previous. If your looking for something easy, amusing and very entertaining - please consider the Spellman Files series.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3861006;
    No, you are not alone. I know exactly how it would be and and read it anyway. I am not sure what I expected to happen, but I stuck with it as if there would be this uplifting twist at the end.

For anyone unfamiliar with this series, think very funny, enjoyable reads. As funny as Evanovich, but very different........ even though the family is dysfunctional. I love each and every character in the series. Each book is even better then the previous. If your looking for something easy, amusing and very entertaining - please consider the Spellman Files series.
    The author is related to one of my gym buddies.
    So, I had to read her first 2 books.
    Sorry, but I find her poles apart from Janet Evanovich.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3861006;
    I'd never heard of this series until I picked up that one at a trade show. Is it something where I need to start at the beginning of the series or can I start with this new one?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

I read Edgar Sawtelle last summer and liked it better than I thought I would because so many people didn't like it. It needed to be trimmed by about 100 pages but all in all I thought the story was pretty good.

Over spring vacation I read the 19th Wife by David Eberhoff and Look Again by Lisa Scottoline (sp?) The 19th Wife was really great and Look Again was a very quick read with a pretty interesting plot. I'm not a big mystery fan but I enjoyed this a lot. I may look into her next book.

next up: Shelter Me by Juliette Fay, which I found on the exchange shelf in our coffee room at work yesterday. It's another Target book club book but who cares, it looks good.
    Last edited by obsession57; 03-24-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: addition of information

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;3860668;
    I just read a really great history book about the Cuban Missile Crisis that I couldn't put down. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you the title and author.
    I just finished the Panama Canal book and enjoyed every bit of it. I learned so much and it was very informative and also interesting to learn about all the different people involved in the project.

I would love to have the information on the book about the Cuban Missile Crisis. I've decided the the short paragraphs we read in school about many of these events really did not teach us very much. I'm really enjoying learning more about our history.

Kiz

I just started reading Outlander, the first of a series by Diana Gabaldon, and am almost done. Basically, I've been reading it round the clock, and loving every minute of it. I did a quick thread search, and I've found that several of you have read the series. Boy, am I glad I didn't know about this book when it was first published, Now, I can read one book right after the next. I have very little patience for waiting. (lol)
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3861015;
    I'd never heard of this series until I picked up that one at a trade show. Is it something where I need to start at the beginning of the series or can I start with this new one?
    Start at the beginning! While the storyline (which is a fresh approach, considering all of the copycats) is very different from Evanovich's Plum series, I laugh just as much, if not more. Revenge of the Spellmans and The Spellman's Strike Again are my favorites, but The Spellman Files is the first book followed by Curse of the Spellman's.

The family/and extended family are very lovable. The humor is great. I think you would enjoy this series!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread