+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Well geek you won't be disappointed by Winter Garden. I didn't know how to describe this book without giving away the plot. Enjoy!

Finished Roses, I loved it. I didn't think I would finish it, but since it was raining and I has to stay close to wait on Mr. Ing after his surgery, I did.
    Next, I'm reading Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez.
    Thanks for all the great book recommendations everyone, you made the last 3 weeks fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3857676Moving on to what I'm actually reading [I
    right now: Arcadia Falls[/I] by Carol Goodman. She writes atmospheric, gripping literary thrillers and this one, set at an upstate New York boarding school, just might be her best effort since The Lake of Dead Languages. They're certainly similar in terms of theme and style - and they both remind me of The Secret History, which miiiiight have something to do with my enthusiasm...
    The Secret History? That sold me on it. I put holds on both those titles at the library, though Arcadia Falls isn't available yet.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3857822;
    Next, I'm reading Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez.
    Thanks for all the great book recommendations everyone, you made the last 3 weeks fly by.
    Let me know how you like it! I found it very interesting... based on a real resort during that time in Ohio.
    Count your blessings!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I'm reading Panama Fever by Matthew Parker. About the building of the Panama Canal and the events leading up to and during. I'm about 1/2 way through and its an excellent read ...very interesting. I love history so I really enjoy these kinds of books.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3857873;
    The Secret History? That sold me on it. I put holds on both those titles at the library, though Arcadia Falls isn't available yet.
    Me too! I loved The Secret History, so I'll definitely have to put those two on my list

I just started The Other Family by Joanna Trollope. It's the story of two families dealing with the aftermath when a man dies - one family is his wife and child whom he left many years before and the other family is his now-partner and her three daughters with him. I just started it, but my mom read and it really loved it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just started the "Jade Peony" by Wayson Choy. It is set in Vancouver's Chinatown and was picked as one of "Canada Reads" choices. I am really enjoying it so far.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3838899;
    I finished Hush last night and it was actually pretty good. It didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but I didn't figure out the killer within the first 100 pages, which sometimes happens. A very quick read.

Now I'm reading Savage Lands by Clare Clark, who also wrote The Big Stink. This one is set in Louisiana in the early 18th century when the French were just beginning the settle there. It focuses on two characters - a young boy and the new wife of one of the settlers who was shipped there from France to marry one of the men. The chapters alternate between their stories. I'm only 60 pages in, but I'm enjoying it so far.
    I just started Savage Lands today after seeing your recommendation. I really like it so far! It's easy reading and hard to put down!

I'm 2/3 of the way through Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow. I've read all her books and this one is pretty good so far. A coupe, as of late, haven't measured up.
    My main problem, however, is that she keeps her character / novel in the 1980's. I believe I read somewhere that she didn't want to have to deal with all the technology, etc. Well, that's fine with me. But, she insists on sticking things in her books that are relative to today and not to 20 or 30 years ago. Don't they have any proof readers anymore? Kind of annoying, to say the least.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3858797;
    I just started Savage Lands today after seeing your recommendation. I really like it so far! It's easy reading and hard to put down!
    Cool! Let me know what you think when you finish it. I really enjoyed it and it made me want to give The Great Stink another try. I think I was in school when I was trying to read it and just wasn't able to focus.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I just finished it. I really liked the first half, but had a little trouble getting into the second half. I was totally absorbed in the story in the first half and didn't want it to end, but then she switched gears so much that it took some time. Once I got into the second half, the book ended. She spent so much time developing Vicente's character that I wanted more about her. I wouldn't mind a book about them as a sequel.

All in all, it was a good book, though. And, I guess the author based the characters on real people of the time, so I learned alot about that time period that I wasn't aware of at first.

One thing I have noticed in these historical fiction books is the theme of women marrying strangers and the struggles they endured sexually. I guess we are lucky in this day and age, huh?

+ Reply to Thread