+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

elk

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3851265;
    Just finished Joe Hill's new novel, Horns. Stupid title but a great read, although I found the ending a little unresolved for my liking. I just wish he wrote faster (the exact opposite of his father ). Two novels and one collection of short stories is not enough!
    Totally agree, AJane, I loved Horns! Went right out and got Heart Shaped Box and 20th Century Ghosts. Can't wait until his next book.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Why do the books I have on reserve at the Library always arrive at the same time?
    I'm reading Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. I read 162 pages the first night, so good. Next, Roses by Leila Meacham.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3853469;
    Why do the books I have on reserve at the Library always arrive at the same time?
    I'm reading Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. I read 162 pages the first night, so good. Next, Roses by Leila Meacham.
    Roses is wonderful! I loved it and recommended it to my mom. She read it in a day and it's 700+ pages long! She stayed up until 3 am to finish it because she couldn't put it down.

I'm still reading Stardust by Joseph Kanon and will hopefully finish it this weekend. I sort of hit a spot I just couldn't get past - I was reading a page or two at a time and just could not read more. I finally got past the slow part and am plugging along again. Good book, but it got a bit difficult in the middle.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I finished Winter Garden last night, it was such a good book. It is about two daughter's who struggle with their mother's seeming lack of love for them.
    I hope I can finish Roses in two weeks.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I just finished the two Christian fiction books that I had reserved, "Intervention" and "Double Minds" by Terri Blackstock. They were ok. I didn't think that "Intervention" was very good at all, but Double Minds was better. Still, I wish the quality of Christian writing was as good as secular.

Has anyone read The Secrets of Eden? I listened to it on my way to and from my daughter's college last weekend and just finished it on the way into work this morning. Investigation of a murder/suicide told by 4 different narrators. Every narrator makes you think something different is going on. The very last sentence tells you what actually happened so don't flip to the back. It was a little depressing and dwelled way more than I cared for on abusive husbands, but the format was interesting.
    Count your blessings!

Finally getting into Kevin Smith's My Boring-Ass Life. He is totally vulgar, immature, and kinda self-absorbed and gross. Also hysterically funny and pretty cool. Much like his movies. If you don't like his films do NOT read this book. His online diary has lots of funny stuff as well, plenty about the Southwest business if you're not tired of that story yet.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished, "A Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley and I loved it. It's a murder mystery, but not a typical one. It is told in the voice of a precocious 11 year old and is well written, and funny.

I'm plodding through The Thirteenth Apostle by Michel Benoit. A totally "what if" that flips between the past and present. I'm finding it to be plausible and possible, but not in my realm of faith.

AJane and elk, I pretty much picked up Horns straight from the press and loved it. He's definitely one of the - if not THE - most interesting new names in the field of supernatural fiction. LOVED the coming-of-age flashbacks to Ig's childhood, which reminded me of Papa King's finest work. The little jab at Dean Koontz made me laugh. (Hope you're not reading this, John )

Moving on to what I'm actually reading right now: Arcadia Falls by Carol Goodman. She writes atmospheric, gripping literary thrillers and this one, set at an upstate New York boarding school, just might be her best effort since The Lake of Dead Languages. They're certainly similar in terms of theme and style - and they both remind me of The Secret History, which miiiiight have something to do with my enthusiasm...

inthegarden, I just put in a reservation for Winter Garden at my local library. Kristin Hannah is my comfort read of choice. Whenever I'm feeling down, I curl up with one of her novels, something yummy to eat and a boxful of Kleenex. Works like a charm every time... and a lot cheaper than therapy!
    Last edited by geek the girl; 03-18-2010 at 07:24 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread