+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Kiz

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3848360;
    I hope you have some free time this weekend, because I could barely put that book down!!!
    You are so right. I had such a hard time putting it down last night to go to bed. I love the way we get the first person perspective from the different characters.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3847669;
    Finishing up Voyager, the third in the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. Next up and I can't wait, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.
    I loved Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.
    I finished the "Joe Grey" series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy, next on my list is The Postmistress by Sarah Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3848558;
    Me too, it was a wonderful story!

I'm in the middle of Barbara's Erskin's The Warrior's Princess. Its got Celtic history, ghosts, and a good story!
    Review The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine: Latest Novel by Popular Historical Fiction Author

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3848558;
    So I've heard. Thanks inthegarden and ClosetRTWatcher. After that it's likely The Help, everyone I know says it's amazing.

Oh, cablejockey, The Warrior Princess sounds right up my alley, thanks for the link.

Talldede--you're welcome--hope you enjoy the book as much as I.

Just finished Joe Hill's new novel, Horns. Stupid title but a great read, although I found the ending a little unresolved for my liking. I just wish he wrote faster (the exact opposite of his father ). Two novels and one collection of short stories is not enough!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular

Currently reading The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff, which intertwines a historic and modern story about polygamy in the Mormon Church. I've had it sitting on my shelf for awhile which was stupid but it's excellent, a real page-turner.

obsession I've had that in my to read pile for a while as well. Hopefully I'll get to it in not too long, and I hoping I'll also find it excellent.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I liked the 19th Wife too. It was really interesting to see what is going on in the polygamist's minds. And, really tragic about the "lost boys", which I have heard of on the Oprah show. I wasn't thrilled with the f-bomb being thrown around, but I thought it was ok for that character and got over it.

I finished "Lady Elizabeth" and loved it! I want her to write a sequel from the time Elizabeth became queen. I think I will see what else there is by that author. I really enjoy historical fiction.

And, I also just finished "The Doomsday Book". That one was a little challenging for me because I hated the part that was happening now (in the future), and loved the part that was about the 13th century. I felt that the modern-day counter-part was really tedious because the author would draw out a single conversation over pages and pages. It kind of drove me crazy. So, I found myself doing a lot of skimming on that half of the story and intently reading the other half. Also, as a Christian, I thought there was an atheist undertone to the story. I don't care, and I can handle that, but there was a little bit of disrespect to my belief system.

I have two Christian novels that I am going to read next, by Terri Blackstock. One is called, "Intervention" about drug addiction (obviously), and the other called, "Double Minds" which is a mystery set in Nashville in the Christian music industry. I have always liked her writing and would highly recommend a series she wrote called the Restoration Series that is about a global power outage and how society deals with the complete loss of technology. There are four books: Last Light, Night Light, True Light, and Dawn's Light.

+ Reply to Thread