+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3842219;
    Agreed! Sometimes I figure it out so early that I start to wonder if the author is just lazy or if I'm just really perceptive!..... OR if I just read too many mysteries and thrillers!
    It's probably a combination of both.

I've been cleaning for the past few hours and the time just flew by because I was listening to an audiobook. I'm forever grateful to the person who decided putting books on tape would be a good idea.

I've actually been listening to audio file books (Jennifer Crusie/Bob Mayer) through our Library's Wilbor program, allowing me to download books to my iTouch and just walk around everywhere. Truthfully, I would rather read then listen..... I get busy doing something, and tune out what they are saying every once in awhile, then get lost for a bit. Anyway, I've gone through a variety of books that way.
    Am now about to read "same kind of different As Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. I've heard wonderful things about this book and was hoping the library would get it in, but got tired of waiting so I bought it myself (then will donate it). I'm excited!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3842361;
    Truthfully, I would rather read then listen..... I get busy doing something, and tune out what they are saying every once in awhile, then get lost for a bit.
    That's why I can't do audio books. The only place I'd really listen to them is in the car and after commuting in LA for too long I've perfected the art of "zoning out" while driving and just going on auto pilot. It makes the commute easier, but I can't pay attention to the radio too much. I have the entire LOTR series and The Hobbit on CD - it's like 57 discs - and I have listened to that a few times on long drives back and forth to SoCal, but I still find that I zone out. At least I've read those books enough times that it doesn't matter!

I just started The Big Steal by Emyl Jenkins. The quote on the cover is something like "Mrs. Marple wears Prada." It's a mystery with an antiques expert as the main character. It was released in July and I saw it at a remainders website yesterday, so I'm not terribly optimistic, but it looks like it will be a quick read. This will make twenty books read from the trade show in October. I'm so proud of myself I hate taking free books and then letting them languish on the shelves - it makes me feel greedy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was reading that Racing in the Rain book last night and the plot developments kept spiraling downward until there was finally a straw that broke my back. I turned it off and will not finish it. I can't remember the last time I didn't finish a book because of a violent negative reaction. Ick and phooey. I need to start something light and frivolous. Luckily a lot of the free books fit that description.
    Count your blessings!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3818021;
    Perhaps you've read these, but here are a few of my favs: Year of Wonders by Brooks, Pope Joan, Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir, Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.
    I just finished "Innocent Traitor", thanks for the recommendation! It was really good AND educational! I didn't know much about the Lady Jane Grey beforehand. What a tragic character!

I am starting "The Lady Elizabeth" by the same author tonight.

I just finished "U is for Undertow" by Sue Grafton. I waited for three months to get it from the public library and I read it in one day. I felt like I had taken a trip back to 1988 Santa Barbara, the inspiration for her town, Santa Teresa. I used to live there and her character is three years older that I, so her books are very fun for me to read. As her titles are getting to the end of the alphabet, I am getting a little anxious! Mysteries without the power of the World Wide Web are pleasurable...the computer takes lots of the fun out of it!

I have spent most of the last 20 years reading children's and young adult books. It was great to go "on vacation" from my usual life through this story.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3845691;
    I just finished "Innocent Traitor", thanks for the recommendation! It was really good AND educational! I didn't know much about the Lady Jane Grey beforehand. What a tragic character!

I am starting "The Lady Elizabeth" by the same author tonight.
    Glad you liked it! I actually heard about Innocent Traitor on this board--awhile ago.

Kiz

I just checked out The Help by Kathryn Stocket from the library. I've read so many wonderful reviews about the book, so I'm eager to get started on it tonight.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Finishing up Voyager, the third in the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. Next up and I can't wait, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3847653;
    I just checked out The Help by Kathryn Stocket from the library. I've read so many wonderful reviews about the book, so I'm eager to get started on it tonight.
    I hope you have some free time this weekend, because I could barely put that book down!!!

+ Reply to Thread