+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

This weekend I finished The Complete Works of T.S. Spivet. It's the story of a twelve year old cartographer who maps everything about life; he wins a fellowship at the Smithsonian Institute and hops the rails cross-country to accept. It's a difficult book to sum up -- what I wrote is not half of what it's about -- but I really enjoyed it. The plot is a little outlandish, but it clicks along pretty well mostly because the fascinating illustrations/maps included in the margins make the plot and the character of T.S. seem really sincere and not like weird devices. There is a kind of awkward book within a book thing, and the ending is kind of abrupt, but other than that I enjoyed it.

I'm about 150 pages into Jasper Fforde's latest, Shades of Grey, which is about a society with a caste system organized by colors - red, green, blue, yellow, purple, and gray. I was a little skeptical of the premise, but I should've known Fforde would make something fantastic out of it. It's not as whimsical as the Nursery Crimes or the Thursday Next books; there's more gravitas and satire about it, and I can hardly put it down.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3831734;
    The movie was called Sliding Doors.
    Ahh, I love that movie!

I'm reading The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. It's been sitting in my Amazon Cart forever after I saw the recommendation in 1 of these book threads and I finally got around to buying it. Arthurian stories are right up my alley and I'm liking Stewart's writing style. My only problem is that I feel as though I've read it before, perhaps when I was younger, so I keep trying to figure out where the story's headed next. LOL!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3837979;
    I'm reading The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. It's been sitting in my Amazon Cart forever after I saw the recommendation in 1 of these book threads and I finally got around to buying it. Arthurian stories are right up my alley and I'm liking Stewart's writing style. My only problem is that I feel as though I've read it before, perhaps when I was younger, so I keep trying to figure out where the story's headed next. LOL!
    That's one of my favorite series! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I'm reading Hush by Kate White. It's the standard thriller, written by the editor-in-chief of Cosmo, you know, in her spare time. This seems to be more well done than Cosmo, which has turned pretty sleazy. I mean, Cosmo has always been titillating, but now it's more cheap. Anyway, it was free and I'm reading it. Too soon to tell if it's a stinker or not. If I figure out whodunnit within the next 100 pages it'll be a
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm smack in the middle of Heresy by S.J. Parris. It's historical fiction based on the real life story of the 16th century monk Giordano Bruno. When Oxford Fellows are murdered by the same means as various martyrs in a book, Bruno sets out to find the killer. So far, so good...not my usual genre but I'm enjoying it.

I'm also working my way through Erotic Poems by E.E. Cummings and thinking he was one pervy old dude stuck in his room with a pen and paper. I remember reading some of his work in college but had no idea until reading this book that he also sketched his interpretations of...um, sex and love.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I finished Hush last night and it was actually pretty good. It didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but I didn't figure out the killer within the first 100 pages, which sometimes happens. A very quick read.

Now I'm reading Savage Lands by Clare Clark, who also wrote The Big Stink. This one is set in Louisiana in the early 18th century when the French were just beginning the settle there. It focuses on two characters - a young boy and the new wife of one of the settlers who was shipped there from France to marry one of the men. The chapters alternate between their stories. I'm only 60 pages in, but I'm enjoying it so far.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I'm reading the "Guernsey Literary Club and Potato Peel Pie Society" right now and I'm really enjoying it. It came quicker in my library holds than I expected, so I figured I'd better read it first and get it back since I was 40th in line to get it!
    Honestly, I didn't think I would be interested in an after WW2 book written entirely in letter format, but it pulled me in quickly. The main character is very charming and I immediately liked her. It's also a nice easy read, so I expect to finish it very quickly and get it back to the library for the many people waiting for it!

Am currentliy reading The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner. Ok, so far; nothing outstanding.
    Just got an email from the library, though, that the new Sue Grafton, U is for Undertow, is ready for pick up.
    Has anybody read / can recommend it?

I was a bit disappointed with her last 2, but I still feel compelled to finish the series.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I've just finished re-reading The Serpent Garden by Judith Merkle Riley. I love all of her books. She does such a great blend of historical fiction, fantasy, romance and best of all, humor. The Serpent Garden is about a paintrix (female painter) in Henry VII's Tudor England.

I'm about halfway through Deeper Than the Dead by Tami Hoag. It's about the hunt for a serial killer in mid 80's southern California. It's pretty good so far, and I haven't figured out who is the murderer yet so that's always a good thing.

I've been reading some good books lately! I finished Savage Lands and it was definitely a The book was really well-researched, so you got a good idea of what it was like at the beginning of the settling of Louisiana. Like good historical fiction though, all that research disappeared and served as the backdrop to a really good story.

I also read Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe by Jennie Shortridge, which I loved. It's about a married 40-something teacher who basically runs away from home to find herself and ends up working at a coffee shop in Seattle called the Cafe at the Center of the Universe.

Tonight I finished Bone Worship by Elizabeth Eslami and really enjoyed it. The main character is an Iranian American girl who's just flunked out of college in her last semester and is forced to move back in with her parents, who set about finding her a husband for an arranged marriage. I really liked the writing style. The author has a nice way with language and a kind of quirky and different way of looking at things. This is a writer I'm going to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie
    I'm about halfway through Deeper Than the Dead by Tami Hoag. It's about the hunt for a serial killer in mid 80's southern California. It's pretty good so far, and I haven't figured out who is the murderer yet so that's always a good thing.
    Agreed! Sometimes I figure it out so early that I start to wonder if the author is just lazy or if I'm just really perceptive!..... OR if I just read too many mysteries and thrillers!

Can't wait to go look some of these up on Amazon! I'm reading The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein. The narrator is the dog of a race car driver who's having a string of bad luck. The dog is very philosophical. Not the best read of the year, but I haven't been reading it non-stop like I usually do, so maybe it's just me.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread