+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832789;
    I may or may not have read that one, maude. Apparently, all covers of books involving knitting have the same covers (and similar plots)! Case and point, look at the cover of Spinning Forward compared to The Friday Night Knitting Club: Amazon.com: Spinning Forward (9780758232045): Terri DuLong: Books BTW - the review from Publishers Weekly in that listing is pretty accurate.

noreality - this one was a Joe Pike novel, but Elvis Cole is a character in the book too. I'll have to seek out more of Robert Crais - it was good fun!
    Monkey's Raincoat - one of his early books - is really good. I've read just about all of his books. I still like his early ones the best, though.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Critical - the number of books you go through is astounding to me!!

I just started The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Too early for me to have an opinion yet!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832789;
    I may or may not have read that one, maude. Apparently, all covers of books involving knitting have the same covers (and similar plots)! Case and point, look at the cover of Spinning Forward compared to The Friday Night Knitting Club: Amazon.com: Spinning Forward (9780758232045): Terri DuLong: Books BTW - the review from Publishers Weekly in that listing is pretty accurate.

noreality - this one was a Joe Pike novel, but Elvis Cole is a character in the book too. I'll have to seek out more of Robert Crais - it was good fun!
    That is funny! I didn't realize knitting was a big subject for fiction!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3833159;
    I just started The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Too early for me to have an opinion yet!
    I loved that book!

Right now, I am reading the new Connie Willis time travel novel called Blackout. It's actually only half a story, as the conclusion, to be called All Clear, will not be published until this fall. So I am dreading getting to the end.

I highly recommend Connie Willis, especially The Doomsday Book, an earlier time travel story with some of the same characters. I was very resistant to reading science fiction, but after a friend introduced me to her, I became a huge fan of Ms. Willis.

I just read Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier and would recommend it. It's set in the early 1800's in Lyme Regis, England where two women fossil hunters discovered first one and then another prehistoric skeleton. The book covers a lot on class structure, women's place (none) in the scientific community, how little women had to say about their position in life, but more interestingly, it looks at what happened when dinosaurs were first discovered in terms of how religious people (almost everyone) had to deal with God creating the earth and why some of his creatures no longer exist. I had never been subjected to that line of thought and it was really interesting to me. I didn't find out until the end of the book that the characters were all based on actual historical people during this time. Highly fictionalized of course.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3832422;
    I read The Post Birthday World subsequent to reading Shriver's We Need to Talk About Kevin, which was a truly engrossing read and one of my favourite novels. Well, after that I was of course let down somewhat by The Post Birthday World, but it has stuck in my head unlike so much other stuff I read and I am now on a mission to buy all of her books.
    Will have to pick that up. We Need To Talk About Kevin stands out as one of those books that I could never get out of my head, too.

Finally got my hands on John Irving's Last Night in Twisted River. One of my first thoughts was, "Bears, it's always about the bears". It's just not an Irving novel without a bear. He's pretty consistent with his themes, and I'm afraid the skillet incident will haunt me in the same way as the manner of death of little Walt The World According to Garp, but I'm enjoying this one nonetheless.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady;3833549;
    I highly recommend Connie Willis, especially The Doomsday Book, an earlier time travel story with some of the same characters. I was very resistant to reading science fiction, but after a friend introduced me to her, I became a huge fan of Ms. Willis.
    I loved that book! I went through a period a few years ago where I read a bunch of travel novels and that was one of them. I really liked it. I'll have to look for the other Willis title you mentioned - I don't think I've read that one. I read one other book of hers called (I think) Dreams of Lincoln and enjoyed it too, although not as much as Doomsday Book.

I'm now about half way through J.A. Jance's Trial by Fire. Such quick read, but I didn't have much time to read today, so I may not finish it until tomorrow.

AJane - when I saw Irving speak about that book in October, someone actually asked him "What's up with the bears?" He just said something like "There are only bears in 5 or 6 of my novels." Not a big deal with you're Patrick O'Brien, but Irving hasn't written that many books. There are bears in about half of them! With Irving, it's bears, wrestling, farting dogs and death!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Finally got my hands on John Irving's Last Night in Twisted River. One of my first thoughts was, "Bears, it's always about the bears". It's just not an Irving novel without a bear. He's pretty consistent with his themes
    With Irving, it's bears, wrestling, farting dogs and death
    Plus, younger men with older women, and boobs!

I also enjoyed his liberal use of semicolons in "Last Night..." apparently to celebrate the critics who complained that he uses too many of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3833684;
    I'm now about half way through J.A. Jance's Trial by Fire. Such quick read, but I didn't have much time to read today, so I may not finish it until tomorrow.
    So yeah, I finished it last night. With those thrillers you just can't put it down once you're within 100 pages of the end! It was quick and light and totally predictable, but sometimes that's the fun of it.

Now I'm reading Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. It's sort of a Yaya Sisterhood/Secret Life of Bees kind of a thing. Southern, girl power, you know the drill. I'm enjoying it a lot. Well-written and entertaining. The title character is (at least at the point I've gotten to) a 12-year old girl, who's just lost her mentally ill mother and been sent off by her largely absent father to live with her great aunt in Savannah. I'm about 100 pages in and I've already laughed and cried, so I think that's a good sign!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Has anybody who's read Larsson's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo read the next in the series, Girl who Played with Fire?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread