+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Yes, she played a Brit in that one, and she does a great job of it.

Perhaps that's why she and Chris Martin get along so well.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Just finished "Year of Wonders", along with "The 19th Wife", and "The Scarlet Pimpernel. Going to see what the library has put into my reserve-pile next.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3819714;
    Next up is Daphne duMaurier's "Mary Anne." Historical fiction - Maude Flanders, you might like it. I've always been a big duMaurier fan, and had never heard of this one before - lucked into it at Sam's Club last fall.
    I just requested this from the library.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3831691;
    I just finished The Post Birthday World by Lionel Shriver. It was a pretty good book with an interesting premise. An American woman living in London with her boyfriend of 10 years comes to a crossroad in her life. The book then alternates chapters on what would happen to her depending on which choice she had picked.
    I read The Post Birthday World subsequent to reading Shriver's We Need to Talk About Kevin, which was a truly engrossing read and one of my favourite novels. Well, after that I was of course let down somewhat by The Post Birthday World, but it has stuck in my head unlike so much other stuff I read and I am now on a mission to buy all of her books.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3832422;
    I read The Post Birthday World subsequent to reading Shriver's We Need to Talk About Kevin, which was a truly engrossing read and one of my favourite novels. Well, after that I was of course let down somewhat by The Post Birthday World, but it has stuck in my head unlike so much other stuff I read and I am now on a mission to buy all of her books.
    We Need to Talk About Kevin is definitely a novel that leaves a lasting impression! I'm going to try to read the rest of her novels also. Her writing is always engrossing even when the subject matter is unpleasant or even repulsive.

I've been doing a book a day for a few days now - I guess I've hit a patch of really fast reads!

I finished Spinning Forward by Terri DuLong last night. Very standard fare about a woman who is forced to find herself when her husband dies suddenly and she finds his secret gambling addiction has lost everything. She ends up opening a knitting store in Florida and the heart-warming story ensues. It was just okay, but I was glad I didn't pay for it.

A few minutes ago, I finished The First Rule by Robert Crais, who I'd never heard of, but seems to be a pretty prolific writer. This is one of a series of detective thrillers and I really enjoyed it. Lots of action, very smart and very a quick read.

I just picked up J.A. Jance's Trial by Fire. I think I've read one of hers before, but I don't remember much about it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832451;
    I've been doing a book a day for a few days now - I guess I've hit a patch of really fast reads!

I finished Spinning Forward by Terri DuLong last night. Very standard fare about a woman who is forced to find herself when her husband dies suddenly and she finds his secret gambling addiction has lost everything. She ends up opening a knitting store in Florida and the heart-warming story ensues. It was just okay, but I was glad I didn't pay for it.

A few minutes ago, I finished The First Rule by Robert Crais, who I'd never heard of, but seems to be a pretty prolific writer. This is one of a series of detective thrillers and I really enjoyed it. Lots of action, very smart and very a quick read.

I just picked up J.A. Jance's Trial by Fire. I think I've read one of hers before, but I don't remember much about it.
    His early books - esp. the Elvis Cole ones - are really good.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3832451;

You just made me think of "The Friday Night Knitting Club". That was a good book. They are going to make it into a movie, with Julia Roberts as the star. Apparently, she loved the book and is going to produce and star in it.
    Amazon.com: The Friday Night Knitting Club (Friday Night Knitting Club Novels) (9780425219096): Kate Jacobs: Books

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3832624;
    You just made me think of "The Friday Night Knitting Club". That was a good book. They are going to make it into a movie, with Julia Roberts as the star. Apparently, she loved the book and is going to produce and star in it.
    Amazon.com: The Friday Night Knitting Club (Friday Night Knitting Club Novels) (9780425219096): Kate Jacobs: Books
    I may or may not have read that one, maude. Apparently, all covers of books involving knitting have the same covers (and similar plots)! Case and point, look at the cover of Spinning Forward compared to The Friday Night Knitting Club: Amazon.com: Spinning Forward (9780758232045): Terri DuLong: Books BTW - the review from Publishers Weekly in that listing is pretty accurate.

noreality - this one was a Joe Pike novel, but Elvis Cole is a character in the book too. I'll have to seek out more of Robert Crais - it was good fun!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have been absorbed in The Linnet Bird by Linda Holeman, a story of the life of a poor girl in 1830s England and India. It gives you a look at the poverty, the role of women at the time and the customs of society at that time.The Linnet Bird -- book review

+ Reply to Thread