+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm currently reading Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell and Bitten by Kelley Armstrong.

I'm really loving GwtW, although I have to say I want to kick Scarlet from time to time.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I finally finished The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I enjoyed the entire story much more than I anticipated! The characters were wonderfully fleshed out and the connections between them were fantastic. I did think the love scenes were a bit more explicit than necessary. It wasn't terrible and there weren't a ton of them, but I remember thinking that it could turn off some readers. The picture he paints of the middle ages is excellent - he really captured the difficult nature of life and how it could change on a dime and also touched on the brutality faced by some people.

The one aspect of the story that left me hanging was the character of Martha. Overall the conclusion of the story was satisfying and touched on where everyone ended up, except for her. She just seemed to disappear for maybe the last quarter-to-third of the book. It was very odd.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3824955;
    For a change of pace, I'm reading Timothy Egan's The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America. I got a copy of it at an event last fall where I saw Egan speak. I also saw him do a book reading on Book TV and became even more smitten. I just found him totally charming - handsome, intelligent, well-spoken and funny. He writes a weekly column for the NY Times that I've begun reading. I love his writing. He's a great storyteller.
    Critical, I absolutely LOVED this book. One of those I could not put down. The story was so compelling and such interesting characters.
    I've read one of his other books, The Worst Hard Time, about the dust bowl days and it was an excellent read as well. Now, I need to check out what else he has written.

Quote Originally Posted by homeontherange;3831137;
    Critical, I absolutely LOVED this book. One of those I could not put down. The story was so compelling and such interesting characters.
    I've read one of his other books, The Worst Hard Time, about the dust bowl days and it was an excellent read as well. Now, I need to check out what else he has written.
    I loved it too! I finished it last night. Egan is just a natural story-teller, on paper and in person as well. I definitely recommend his NY Times column, which is weekly and just fantastic. I definitely want to read The Worst Hard Time too.

I just finished Benny and Shrimp by Katarina Mazetti. It's the story of an incredibly mis-matched couple - she's a brainy librarian, he's a dairy farmer who never met a book he liked. The story is told in first person, with the chapters alternating between them. Very sweet and quirky and, at just over 200 pages, a nice quick read. I think it was a big bestseller in Sweden, but was just released here within the last year or so.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Killing Dance by Laurell K Hamilton.

The Killing Dance is the sixth volume in Hamilton's Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. It is special because this is the first time Anita has sex in the series. After this book the rest are erotic. Anyway what really bothers me about the series is that the editors cannot seem to control Miss Hamilton. I read a lot of paranormal romances, urban fantasy etc... and one thing about romance authors is that they can always find away to describe a sex scene very creatively with out repeating themselves verbally. Miss Hamilton's favorite phrase is either "my body" or "his body" used over and over again. After 18 Anita Blake novels the repetition of "my body" and "his body" is enough to drive you crazy. My next peeve about Miss Hamilton's books is that the character of Anita Blake has issues ad nauseum. Anita has enought testosterone for 10 super action heroes, while the men in her life tend to be pretty, dress in leather and lace, and are girly men, pouting because she won't sleep with them.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I just finished The Lightening Thief - it was fantastic, I'm starting Sea of Monsters next. Very fast paced, very enjoyable.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I just finished The Post Birthday World by Lionel Shriver. It was a pretty good book with an interesting premise. An American woman living in London with her boyfriend of 10 years comes to a crossroad in her life. The book then alternates chapters on what would happen to her depending on which choice she had picked.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3831691;
    I just finished The Post Birthday World by Lionel Shriver. It was a pretty good book with an interesting premise. An American woman living in London with her boyfriend of 10 years comes to a crossroad in her life. The book then alternates chapters on what would happen to her depending on which choice she had picked.

That sounds like a movie I saw years ago with Gwyneth Paltrow. Changing Trains or some such thing. it was really good.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The movie was called Sliding Doors.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3831703;
    That sounds like a movie I saw years ago with Gwyneth Paltrow. Changing Trains or some such thing. it was really good.
    It was called Sliding Doors and that book does sound a lot like it, although Gwyneth's character was British and not American. Great movie

ETA: Noreality beat me to it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread