+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3764884;
    I finished The Swan Thieves this afternoon and OMG, it totally blows The Historian away for me (and I really liked The Historian). Maybe it's because this book is very art-centered and, not only that but centered on late 19th century art, which is my favorite historical/artistic period. Kostova's writing style is the same with both books, but this one had a more satisfying ending and the characters felt more fleshed out. Definitely a

I'm blowing through Nelson DeMille's Gold Coast. After a few more serious books, I thought I'd read some fluffy thriller stuff. Next up (speaking of fluff) is Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.
    I just read "The Swan Thieves", and really enjoyed it!

I really like historical fiction. Does anyone have a recommendation? (I don't like any sexual content)

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3817510;
    I just read "The Swan Thieves", and really enjoyed it!

I really like historical fiction. Does anyone have a recommendation? (I don't like any sexual content)
    Perhaps you've read these, but here are a few of my favs: Year of Wonders by Brooks, Pope Joan, Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir, Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3818021;
    Perhaps you've read these, but here are a few of my favs: Year of Wonders by Brooks, Pope Joan, Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir, Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.
    I loved that one! I'd also recommend The Piano Teacher by Janice K. Lee, another WWII story, this time set in Hong Kong.

Maude Flanders - I'm glad you liked The Swan Thieves. I really enjoyed it too! If you're interested in historical fiction, I'd recommend Sarah Dunant's The Birth of Venus and In the Company of the Courtesan. I also really enjoyed The Four Seasons (can't remember the authors name, but it's upthread somewhere). City of Dreams by Beverly Swerling is also really wonderful. It's part of a series of books about the founding and history of NYC. This is the first one and it starts in the 17th century with the arrival of the Dutch settlers.

I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society last night. It was so lovely. I finished it in a day.

Out of the pile of books from the trade show, I just plucked Leila Meacham's Roses, which I've been seeing all over the place, including on Amazon (it's the cover they've got on the Kindle screen on their front page right now). It's a century-long saga that centers on two founding families in a small East Texas town. I'm only about 30 pages in right now, but I'm enjoying it. It feels like an old-fashioned read - the kind you sit at home in your pjs to with and are sad when it ends.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3818021;
    Thanks! I will order them at the library!

Here's an old classic that I am reading to my teen boys for their literature class: The Scarlet Pimpernel. Has anyone read it? It is soooo good! I think we forget those old "school-required" books sometimes! It is all set in the time of the French Revolution, with the Reign of Terror at it's peak, when a British guy, called the Scarlet Pimpernel, runs an underground railroad type of thing to get aristocrats out of Paris and save them from the guillotine. I'm really enjoying it!

Thanks! I just downloaded that for free... also the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel and the Elusive Pimpernel. All free by the same author. Is it a series?
    Count your blessings!

I had no idea there were more! I'm going to read those next! Thanks!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

One of my new year's resolutions was to gather up all the books I'd started and not finished, or those I hadn't even started yet, and make myself read them. I'm on the third right now, called "Thirty-Nine Again." It's the first published book of a friend of mine, Lynn Reynolds. It's a mystery / romance modern-day story set in Baltimore (my home town, and where Lynn still lives).

Next up is Daphne duMaurier's "Mary Anne." Historical fiction - Maude Flanders, you might like it. I've always been a big duMaurier fan, and had never heard of this one before - lucked into it at Sam's Club last fall.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3819565;
    I had no idea there were more! I'm going to read those next! Thanks!
    Turns out there's a whole series, but I can't find anywhere that says what order they go in, other than the classic is the first. The League of... is a book of short stories. Another in the series is El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel. I had to pay $2 for that one and the rest were free.
    Count your blessings!

I'm about 350 pages (of 600) into Roses and I am in LOVE with this book! I can't stop reading! It's exactly what I predicted upthread - one of those books you can't put down. It's just good old-fashioned storytelling and I know I'll be sad when I get to the end. Definitely

Here's the blurb from the back of the book:
    Spanning the twentieth century, this is a tale set in a small East Texas town against the backdrop of its powerful timber and cotton industries, now controlled by the scions of its two founding families. Cotton tycoon Mary Tolliver and timber magnate Percy Warwick should have married, but unwisely did not. Now they must deal with the deceit, secrets, and tragedies that surround them, and the poignant loss of what might have been - not only for themselves, but also for their children and grandchildren. With expert, unabashed, and hypnotic storytelling, Leila Meacham pens a powerful epic of three generations of Texans, a deeply moving love story of struggle and sacrifice that will be cherished and read again and again
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Well, I finished Roses that night and it was fantastic! I've been feeling a little uninspired by the books I've read lately and I wondered if it was me. It wasn't. This book totally re-energized me for reading! I started and finished Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle this weekend. It's sort of in the same vein as the Hailey Lind series of art history mysteries that I read last year. Just fun and silly with a bit of romance thrown in. They're set in the Bay Area and the main character is a book restorer.

I also read When She Flew by Jennie Shortridge. It's about a female cop, Jess, who's reached what feels like a low point in her life. Then the police discover a Iraq War vet and his young daughter living in the woods and their plight touches something in Jess that causes her to act more like a mother than a cop. Really good stuff. Not like a cop story at all, in that it was much more thoughtful and there was less action. Jess's story is told in 3rd person and the girl's story is told in first person. Definitely

Now I'm reading The Postmistress by Sarah Blake. It's set in WWII and alternates between two women - a postmistress and the new wife of the town doctor - in a small town on Cape Cod and a radio "gal" who works with Edward R. Murrow in London and reports on the blitz. I saw a very good review of it somewhere recently, so I thought I'd better read it!

+ Reply to Thread