+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 717 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100150550 ... LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I am almost finished with "Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China" by Jung Chang.
    It is very good!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Can you post a summary of that, like the ones they put in the inside sleeves or the back of the book as a teaser? This one sounds interesting to me!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I finally finished Tracy Chevalier's _The Virgin Blue_. I've just started on _Hidden_, by Paul Jaskunas. So far so good.
    Ludicrous speed!

You like memoirs, right? Have you read any of Mary Karr's? She wrote The Liar's Club and Cherry.
    I have read Cherry and liked it a lot.

I love gritty memoirs- those are the type I usually go for.

Just started to read Pledged: The Secret Lives of Sororities. Looks really promising
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Okay everyone, Tuesdays with Morrie was so much better than The 5 People You Meet In Heaven to me! I loved it! It is a very touching story about an old man who is dying, a young guy who was his student and life lessons that he teaches him about general stuff like death, marriage, love, the world, etc... I give it 5 stars! Two thumbs up! Great book and I would suggest it to everyone. Read it. You will learn a lot from it.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Just started 'Animal Farm". I was supossed to read it in school and faked my way through it. Now I feel like I cheated my self so I'm going back and reading the books I should have read. It's a fast read and quite entertaining. Next up. Lord of the Flies,1984 and Brave New World.

Quote Originally Posted by did_it_again
    Just started 'Animal Farm". I was supossed to read it in school and faked my way through it. Now I feel like I cheated my self so I'm going back and reading the books I should have read. It's a fast read and quite entertaining. Next up. Lord of the Flies,1984 and Brave New World.
    I loved Animal Farm - the ending is great; Loved 1984 and Brave New World.
    Did NOT like "Lord of the Flies" - just a little too intense for me, but I can see why some like it.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I love Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm. We did a behind the history thing in our English and Civics classes that tied the book in together well and made it make ton more sense on a more philosophical level. Some of us had to write practice term papers on the social contracts of Locke, Hobbes, and someone else. It was ton of fun for me 'cause it opened a whole new world of learning for me. I really developed an interest in social philosophies (as well as the ones about food). Survival of the fittest, eh? Anyway, I'm reading 1984 right now and it is really weirding me out! But it is an accurate description of many strange and wacked out scenes my friends and I have deviated from learning ourselves up on Nazism and communism (and the problems of having one of our better friends dominating the world). s
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Yeah, gotta love the Victory cigarettes that had to be held upright so the tobacco wouldn't fall out, and the Victory gin that burned like fire and caused the drinkers eyes to tear (from 1984)... I think about those little "quirks" occasionally when I'm indulging

Lord of the Flies was required reading in junior high school for me many years ago - maybe that's why I didn't like it. I was too young at that age to understand the bigger concept of socialization. I just felt sorry for Piggy. Both my kids had to read it also - my Son loved it, but probably for the wrong reasons... my Daughter didn't like it, probably for the same reasons I didn't.

They made a movie out of Animal Farm. Have you seen it?
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread