+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 709 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105505 ... LastLast
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fan
    Recently finished "The Charm School" by Nelson Demille (finally!). I had to take a break because it was so intense. Just read Cybill Disobediance...the autobography of Cybill Shepherd. (Quite the randy gal).

I am reading a chapter a day of "Return to Lake Wobegon" by Garrison Keillor. I am savoring it....making it last as long as I can.

I will start something new tonight...but haven't decided what yet.

Damn Ohprah Has Me Hooked On East Of Eden

Only 70 more pages of War and Peace. I decided to go with something lighter afterwards. Next is Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves by Wodehouse. My first by him.

FORT Fan
    Just started "The Cape Ann" by Faith Sullivan. So far it is wonderful. It is narrated by a six year old girl (however a VERY precocious little thing) named Lark and takes place in a small town of Harvester Minnesota during the depression. The Cape Ann is a house that she and her mother would like to build inspite of the fact that her father drinks and gambles away the most of the money they have saved for the downpayment.

So far the story is full of rich characters who inhabit this town. It could very easily have been the town I grew up in the 1950's.

Quote Originally Posted by Marysafan
    Just started "The Cape Ann" by Faith Sullivan. So far it is wonderful. It is narrated by a six year old girl (however a VERY precocious little thing) named Lark and takes place in a small town of Harvester Minnesota during the depression. The Cape Ann is a house that she and her mother would like to build inspite of the fact that her father drinks and gambles away the most of the money they have saved for the downpayment.

So far the story is full of rich characters who inhabit this town. It could very easily have been the town I grew up in the 1950's.

Sheesh, Mary! Thanks, just what I needed! ANOTHER book to go on the To Be Read stack. It sounds scrumptious!

Rachael--FINALLY done with War and Peace, and lightening things up with Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves by Wodehouse.

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    1. The Book Of Fred by Abby Bardi. It's about a girl from an exclusive religious cult focused around the name Fred who is sent to a foster home because her father is charged with second degree murder. She has to get used to living with her foster family which consists of Alice, a nervous and depressed woman who is the mom, Alice's brother Roy, who is sarcastic and take drugs, and Heather, who is also sarcastic slowly befriends Mary Fred (Alice calls Heather "Puffin"). There are five sections and they are all told bye someone point of view. I'm in the middle of the section called The Book Of Roy. It's basically about how Mary Fred gets used to our society (modern times) and how the family changes for the better because of her.

2. Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson. It's about a girl named Kate who has somewhat of a split personality and is a science genius. She has to come to terms with the fact that she may not be accepted to the college of her choice. Very good, and frightening.

3. Kit's Wilderness by David Almond. It's about a boy named Kit Watson, who has ancestors who worked in the mines of an English mining town. He plays the game of Death with others of mining ancestry. Very dark, and compelling.
    I was in love with a difficult man.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I just started reading By Blood Possessed by Elena Santangelo. It is very good so far. Here's the cover summary of it...

Pat Montello is summoned from her dreary office job in suburban Pennsylvania by an unusual request from a stranger. Ninety-one-year-old Magnolia Shelby wants to bequeath to Pat, in her will, her house and acreage in rural Virginia. The only condition is that Pat must visit during the first week of May in order to learn what this is all about. What she finds is Bell Run, a Civil War-era estate and battleground inhabited by the enigmatic Miss Maggie, a retired history teacher with a passion for the Civil War. And that's not all, for just as Pat begins to get the lay of the land, she finds herself noticing curiously out-of-date details, like the vibrations of bullets hitting old wood, and the smell of campfire coffee and roast pork, and the faraway hissing of a steam engine. Before too long, she has to admit that wht she's hearing, seeing, and smelling are details of an era long past, the sights and sounds of 1863. Pat soon begins to "see" enough about these long-ago events to put some of the facts together. But then she learns something extraordinary, and how this knowledge affects Pat and Maggie in 1990s Virgina stirs up some very modern, very real danger.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

FORT Fogey
    Just started reading Romeo and Juliet because I saw it on my English teacher's website and figured I'd get a jump start. This is possibly the hardest book I have ever read. I have to read the same line 3-4 times to understand it. sigh... I suppose I have to get used to it as I have 4 more years of high school.

I just finished Cold Mountain . Loved it!!! Read it!!!

Last night I picked upThe Secret Life of Bees I have heard good things about this book, but have not read enough to say one way or another. It should be a pretty fast read though as it is only about 300 pages long.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    Just started reading Romeo and Juliet because I saw it on my English teacher's website and figured I'd get a jump start. This is possibly the hardest book I have ever read. I have to read the same line 3-4 times to understand it. sigh... I suppose I have to get used to it as I have 4 more years of high school.
    I've read 13 Shakespeare plays over the years, and I've found that the best way to read 'em is to find one of those annotated copies. They fill you in on what's being said as you go. I usually find that by the end of the play, I'm just skimming the notes because after a while, you get into the cadence and the meaning of Shakespeare's words. His work is just beautiful.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread