+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I read The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan last week. It was a pretty good YA zombie thriller. I wish she had spent more time on the village and less time on the romance type stuff.

I finished Under the Dome by Stephen King. It was pretty good, much better than Duma Key or Lisey's Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3806859;
    I'm going to have to pick that up. I love Joe Queenan and probably read a number of these essays in the original Movieline (a magazine I miss dearly), but they are definitely worth reading again.
    I definitely recommend this one, Rattus. Still, after reading several "chapters," I decided that I'll enjoy it more if don't read the whole book at once. I'm going to read a bit here and there and will probably enjoy it more. He's SO funny but, for me, it's easier to process if it's not all at once.

I started Pete Hamill's Downtown: My Manhattan last night and am loving it. It's kind of a combination autobiography/history of downtown NYC. He manages to effortlessly blend his own personal history in with the larger history of the city. I'm a big fan of Hamill - his Forever is one of my favorites.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3809134;
    I started Pete Hamill's Downtown: My Manhattan last night and am loving it. It's kind of a combination autobiography/history of downtown NYC. He manages to effortlessly blend his own personal history in with the larger history of the city. I'm a big fan of Hamill - his Forever is one of my favorites.
    Oooh, something else you're reading that I need to get. I've been giving thought to purchasing a book that I had originally got from the library because I want to read it again, Robert Sullivan's Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants. Rats is a blend of rat watching and the history of New York, which is fascinating, particularly the segment on Roosevelt Island. It would seem that I like to get my history mixed in with a little something else.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3809102;
    I read The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan last week. It was a pretty good YA zombie thriller. I wish she had spent more time on the village and less time on the romance type stuff.
    I read that about a year ago and I agree with you. I wanted to know more about what happened to put the world in such a horrible state, and who built the fences, all that history stuff. I didn't care about her obsession with the guy!

Well, I hit the same part in The Gargoyle as Gutmutter last night. Actually, maybe a little before the part you were talking about. Found myself skimming the rest and then reading the end. Somehow the author just lost me. I blame the editor. They needed to edit the story down a bit, it just got too long and while I wanted to know if Marienne's story was true or not, I didn't have the patience to slog through and find out. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3809407;
    Oooh, something else you're reading that I need to get. I've been giving thought to purchasing a book that I had originally got from the library because I want to read it again, Robert Sullivan's Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants. Rats is a blend of rat watching and the history of New York, which is fascinating, particularly the segment on Roosevelt Island. It would seem that I like to get my history mixed in with a little something else.
    I HIGHLY recommend Downtown and anything else by Hamill. I haven't read all of his books yet, but he's a wonderful writer and I'm sure they're all equally fantastic. Forever is about a man who is granted immortality with the one condition that he never leaves the island of Manhattan. The book covers several hundred years of his life there and the changes the city goes through. Really wonderful. I recently bought his North River and Snow in August from bookcloseouts.com, (along with Downtown) at a really good price. They might have more copies.

Rats sounds very cool! I may have to put it on my list!

ETA: I just checked at bookcloseouts and they do have Downtown (for $4.99), along with the other titles I mentioned. Also, they're having a big blow-out sale and have a bunch of books priced at $1.99 or less.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-28-2010 at 01:05 AM.

I just started Wenches by Dolen Perkins-Valdez about slave owners who bring their slave mistresses to a summer resort in Ohio to get away from the heat in the south. Has anyone read this?
    Count your blessings!

I'm reading the Joe Grey PI series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy. The books are about two talking cats, Joe Grey and his lady cat, Dulcie, who solve crimes in their small town. The cats call the police department with their crime tips, confusing the police as to who their snitches are. The owners are aware that their cats can talk and the interaction between cat and owner can be quite funny. Be sure to start with the first book, Cat on the Edge
    Fun entertainment, if you like this type of book.

I'm reading Deeper Than The Dead by Tami Hoag, aside from the fact that she says what she feels (sometimes politically incorrect which stuns my brain), she has a very engrossing page turner. I am half way through it, and enjoying it. (Although the grossness of the crimes described does have me skipping details occasionally.)
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Re-reading my own post 3 back - the title is Wench not Wenches. If you liked The Help, you may like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3812968;
    I'm reading Deeper Than The Dead by Tami Hoag, aside from the fact that she says what she feels (sometimes politically incorrect which stuns my brain), she has a very engrossing page turner. I am half way through it, and enjoying it. (Although the grossness of the crimes described does have me skipping details occasionally.)
    I agree. I'm not usually shocked easily at crime-scene type descriptions but found this book a little more disturbing than some of her others. I was thinking it might be because I haven't picked up one of her books in quite a while and also because this book was dealing with children.

I just picked up my copy of the very first in Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta series, Postmortem. It's been years since I've read the early ones so I decided to start over.
    Last edited by lildago; 01-31-2010 at 12:06 AM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread