+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3803665;
    I finally read The Lovely Bones. A friend gave me her copy more than a year ago but anticipating a tragic and depressing story, I never opened it. With all the hype of the movie, I decided to give it a go....it's about so much more than tragedy and loss. It's also about love and how you deal with personal grief and letting go...one of those stories that stays with you long after you put the book down.
    I loved it too, Lil. I thought it was so touching and poignant. Plus, Alice Sebold is such a great writer, you just go with her even while you're crying. I don't think I'll see the movie - even Peter Jackson couldn't possibly do it justice (and I loved Heavenly Creatures),

I'm still plugging away at A Year in the World. It's good and she's a good writer, but it's getting a bit tedious. Every chapter is one country/region as she and her husband travel around, looking at gardens, art and then eating everything in sight. It's all blending together. I think the chapters would work better as stand-alone pieces in a travel mag or something. Still, I'll finish it, probably today or tomorrow.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I'm about a quarter of the way through Mistress of the Monarchy. It's an Alison Weir factual historical account of Katherine Swynford, the mistress and eventual third wife of John of Gaunt (son of Edward III) which all of the current British royals are descended from one way or the other. Her style for historical is never dry and it's amazingly fascinating how she pulls together so much detail from rather sparse sources with alot of history being lost since the 1300s.
    One of my all-time favorite books is Katherine, by Anya Seton, a novel about the relationship between Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt which was written more than 50 years ago. This is what got me hooked on historical fiction, as Seton was meticulous in her research to include as much of the detail that was known about the period and their story as possible. Weir's book is at the top of my list for the next book I want to read!

I have just started "True Colors" by Kristen Hannah. A novel about three sisters who basically stop talking over an incident. I bought it because two of my own sisters are fighting and barely speaking and I figured I could lend it to each of them after. LOL

Last week I read Shutter Island which I really liked and had a nice twist to the end.

I finished The Gargoyle and lost interest 2/3 through. I skimmed the whole "hell" episode. I just didn't get where the author was going with all that. I'll be curious to hear what sweetpea thought of it.
    Count your blessings!

I just started True Detectives by Kellerman.
    I had just finished Nancy Taylor Rosenberg's latest, The Cheater, and was quite disappointed. Her heroine, who's a judge, was reduced to a bitter misanthropic cardboard character in this one. Not good at all.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Just started Under The Dome by Stephen King. Its pretty good so far. Ifeel like I am there when I'm reading it.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3799696;
    I finished reading Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. I enjoyed reading it and didn't have any issue with the supernatural aspects of it. However, the ending left me slightly unsatisfied.

I am now reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I am only a couple of chapters in, but I am really enjoying it so far. It is huge, so this one is going to take me a little while to get through!
    I had the same problem with the ending of Her Fearful Symmetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3803618;
    I'm loving The Gargoyle. I missed my workout this morning to read.
    I'm just over half of the way through (haven't had as much time to read lately!) and I have warmed so much to the two main characters. Can't wait to see how the whole story wraps up. Sad to hear you lost interest part way through...I'm not at the Hell part yet so we'll see how I fare when I get there. That's such a shame, when a story starts so strong and then fades away. There have been many books where I start out reading, but then suddenly find myself losing interest so I flip to the back to read the end and then put the book aside. Too many books, too little time to waste on one I don't really care for!!

I finally just stopped reading A Year in the World. Frances Mayes may be an okay writer, but that book became so monotonous. Chapter after chapter of her talking about this garden and that restaurant..... It all blended together until I didn't even remember what country she was writing about. So yeah -

I picked up Joe Queenan's Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler and am loving it. It's a collection of essays - many of which he wrote for Movieline and other magazines - all about the movies. So far, I've read about auricular trauma (ear mutilation) as a trend in films, the great Irish films (i.e. bad over-the-top and full of stereotypes) and the chapter on how he spent months being the jerk who heckles the movie just to see how far he could go before someone would lash out at him. The stuff he yelled out during Alive (that's the cannibalistic soccer team movie) is hilarious.

Even the index is funny. It has entries like "Bridges, Jeff, dead otter glued to the side of head in The Vanishing, 144" and "Wood chipper, ideal destination for people like Luke Perry, 140"
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3806552;
    I picked up Joe Queenan's Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler and am loving it. It's a collection of essays - many of which he wrote for Movieline and other magazines - all about the movies.
    I'm going to have to pick that up. I love Joe Queenan and probably read a number of these essays in the original Movieline (a magazine I miss dearly), but they are definitely worth reading again.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread