+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I finished reading Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. I enjoyed reading it and didn't have any issue with the supernatural aspects of it. However, the ending left me slightly unsatisfied.

I am now reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I am only a couple of chapters in, but I am really enjoying it so far. It is huge, so this one is going to take me a little while to get through!

In the past month I have read the first 12 of the numbered Stephanie Plum novels. I really like them, Grandma and Lula keep me in stitches but I find myself getting annoyed with the Morelli/Ranger/Stephanie triangle.. or merry-go-round.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3799343;
    I read it a while back and I think maybe geek the girl mentioned reading it as well. I thought it was pretty great, although it took me a while to really get into it.

I immediately went out and bought The Moonstone, although I haven't finished it yet. It also made me want to read The Mystery of Edwin Drood, but I haven't found a copy for under $10.

I thought the book was very thought provoking and I never did decide what was "true" and what was an illusion/drug-induced hallucination. It was definitely worth the time though
    Thanks so much for the endorsement, Crit; I am at home recovering from pneumonia and your praise encourages me even further to keep reading. I am loving the language and the characters. Very different.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I started The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson last night. It's kind of creepy and interesting and I'm enjoying it so far. It's about a young guy who has led an interesting and not too moral life, who is horrifically burned in a car accident. While in the hospital, painfully recuperating and dreaming up his own suicide after they finally release him (he's so badly damaged by the accident and the burns, he sees no point in living) he's visited by what he believes is a run-away psychiatric patient named Marianne Engel, who insists that she knows him, and that she has known him for 700 years. She starts to tell the story to him as he lies there helpless, and insists she can prove it to him. It's good so far.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3800699;
    I started The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson last night. It's kind of creepy and interesting and I'm enjoying it so far. It's about a young guy who has led an interesting and not too moral life, who is horrifically burned in a car accident. While in the hospital, painfully recuperating and dreaming up his own suicide after they finally release him (he's so badly damaged by the accident and the burns, he sees no point in living) he's visited by what he believes is a run-away psychiatric patient named Marianne Engel, who insists that she knows him, and that she has known him for 700 years. She starts to tell the story to him as he lies there helpless, and insists she can prove it to him. It's good so far.
    I read The Gargoyle, sweetpea, and I really enjoyed it. It was offbeat and, yes, incredibly creepy.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I just downloaded The Gargoyle on your recommendations. I have a long professional development day ahead with 3 speakers I'm not at all interested in. So while they're talking about on-line bullying, I'll be reading The Gargoyle.
    Count your blessings!

MRD recommended A Dog's Life, by Peter Mayle in another thread, and I'm more than halfway through it. I actually laughed out loud on the subway this morning, and I couldn't put the book down at work until I finished a chapter.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Mistress of the Monarchy. It's an Alison Weir factual historical account of Katherine Swynford, the mistress and eventual third wife of John of Gaunt (son of Edward III) which all of the current British royals are descended from one way or the other. Her style for historical is never dry and it's amazingly fascinating how she pulls together so much detail from rather sparse sources with alot of history being lost since the 1300s.

I'm loving The Gargoyle. I missed my workout this morning to read.
    Count your blessings!

I finally read The Lovely Bones. A friend gave me her copy more than a year ago but anticipating a tragic and depressing story, I never opened it. With all the hype of the movie, I decided to give it a go....it's about so much more than tragedy and loss. It's also about love and how you deal with personal grief and letting go...one of those stories that stays with you long after you put the book down.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread