+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3791165;
    And I've just now finished Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. I feel like I just finished watching an Opera. Deep emotion, unusual setting, art, love, friendship... I don't know how to describe it, but if you are looking for a good book to read, I definitely recommend it. The description of it (hostage situation) doesn't even begin to give you an idea of what it contains.
    I'm glad you liked it! I enjoyed it too although, like I mentioned in another thread, I thought the ending sort of fizzled out a bit. It felt to me like she got to the required number of pages and just finished it. Still, the rest of the book more than made up for it

I'm still reading The Count of Monte Cristo and still enjoying it. However, with so many characters, I was wishing I had a little list of who's who to refer back to. When I went online looking for one, all I found was Cliffs Notes and the like that had character lists with summaries of everything that happened to that character in the book! I don't want to know plot points, I just want "This guy is married to her and those are their kids."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3791690;
    I'm glad you liked it! I enjoyed it too although, like I mentioned in another thread, I thought the ending sort of fizzled out a bit. It felt to me like she got to the required number of pages and just finished it. Still, the rest of the book more than made up for it

I'm still reading The Count of Monte Cristo and still enjoying it. However, with so many characters, I was wishing I had a little list of who's who to refer back to. When I went online looking for one, all I found was Cliffs Notes and the like that had character lists with summaries of everything that happened to that character in the book! I don't want to know plot points, I just want "This guy is married to her and those are their kids."
    When I had to read the Count of Monte Cristo in high school I had to same problem with all the characters. I ended up drawing a little diagram with all of the chracters, their kids and connections to one another. It really helped. If I were at my parents house I could probably find it for you; but I know it's not here with me at school. Sorry. But hopefully you can come up with something.

I did find a diagram on Wiki that's pretty good. Unfortunately, it's really long - the "flow" of it is horizontal, so I'd need legal-size paper to print it out in a size I can read easily. I did print it out and it takes up the whole 8 1/2x11 page lengthwise and only a third of it width-wise. Luckily, my near vision is pretty good. Still, a magnifying glass might be useful!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I picked up The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Lauren Willig) yesterday and the prologue alone sucked me in... I can't wait to read on.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3795047;
    I picked up The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Lauren Willig) yesterday and the prologue alone sucked me in... I can't wait to read on.
    I love that series! They're so much fun! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

I finally finished The Count of Monte Cristo and loved it! I was looking on Amazon for an edition that had a character list in it through the "Look Inside" feature and discovered an edition that is 800+ pages longer than the version I read. Now I'm sort of feeling cheated. I may have to buy the longer version and read it too. It's obvious I missed a lot!

I just started A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller by Frances Mayes of Under the Tuscan Sun fame. I'm a bit biased against Mayes since I never was able to get through that book and because my friend (a former journalist) had a really unpleasant experience with her. Apparently, she has a very high opinion of herself (that's phrased much more nicely than my friend would put it!). Considering the fact that my friend has interviewed the likes of Pavarotti and Nureyev, she knows from people who may have a big ego (both men were, apparently, lovely).

Anyway, I'm actually enjoying the book, in spite of my bias. She basically took several years to travel the world with her husband and then condensed her writings down to represent one year. They're in Spain right now and it's making me yearn for tapas and a place where it isn't raining!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3795047;
    I loved this book, and the sequels also!

Prior Bad Acts by Tami Hoag
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Tempted by PC Cast and Kristin Cast. The latest installment of the House of Night books. Not bad, the author does move the story along and you find that this much more Stevie Ray's book, then the main character's Zoey.

Kindred in Death by JD Robb. The latest installment of the Eve Dallas and Roarke series. While I love the main characters of this series and many of the secondary characters. I didn't like this book as I feel the author is stagnating the characters and that the plot was sort of a throw away. What was the father's reasoning to support his son in the murders. It was never explained and didn't make sense. What really pissed me off the ease in which Lt. Eve Dallas found witnesses who remembered a nondescript guy buying clothes in their store over 6 months ago. I worked retail, fast food restaurants and grocery stores when I first started working and I wouldn't remember a customer if they paid cash and were cute if it happened 2 days ago, much less what they were wearing or give an accurate description to the police sketch artist especially of the shoes the guy was wearing. I don't buy it. This happens not once but three times in the story.

Revelations, a Blue Bloods novel by Melissa De La Cruz
    . I really liked the third installment of this series. The author has this complicated world of fallen angels who live as vampires on Earth and are reincarnated time after time and occasionally still fight the good fight against Lucifer. All this while living the life of young rich kids in Manhattan, going to clubs, partying, modeling and being mean girls. All this sounds like a horrendous mix but the author manages to make it work and make it fun and interesting to read.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

elk

I am reading "Drood" by Dan Simmons. Has anyone else read this book? It is about the last few strange years of Charles Dickens' life as told by his drug addicted friend, Wilkie Collins.

It is a huge book and it is taking me some time, but I find this book mysterious and absolutely delightful. It was in Stephen King's top ten of 2009 books, so I had to give it a try.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;3799260;
    I am reading "Drood" by Dan Simmons. Has anyone else read this book? It is about the last few strange years of Charles Dickens' life as told by his drug addicted friend, Wilkie Collins.

It is a huge book and it is taking me some time, but I find this book mysterious and absolutely delightful. It was in Stephen King's top ten of 2009 books, so I had to give it a try.
    I read it a while back and I think maybe geek the girl mentioned reading it as well. I thought it was pretty great, although it took me a while to really get into it.

I immediately went out and bought The Moonstone, although I haven't finished it yet. It also made me want to read The Mystery of Edwin Drood, but I haven't found a copy for under $10.

I thought the book was very thought provoking and I never did decide what was "true" and what was an illusion/drug-induced hallucination. It was definitely worth the time though

+ Reply to Thread