+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Regular

Re: What are you reading?

I just read some reviews of Open by Andre Agassi and added that to my list of "to reads." I'm not a big autobiography fan but this sounds fascinating and I was a big fan of his.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3788494;
    I'm about 250 pages into The Count of Monte Cristo and am LOVING it! I can't believe I've never read it before! With a lot of classics (or, really, all books), the translation makes all the difference and this one is really readable. I love it when a classic really is one!
    You like Count of Monte Cristo yet you can't get through Vanity Fair? I'm totally the opposite of you!

Have you looked at Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde yet? I finished it; it was quite enjoyable. There are at least two more books in the series as well (don't know if that means he is not going back to the Thursday Next & Nursery Crimes books).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3789635;
    You like Count of Monte Cristo yet you can't get through Vanity Fair? I'm totally the opposite of you!

Have you looked at Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde yet? I finished it; it was quite enjoyable. There are at least two more books in the series as well (don't know if that means he is not going back to the Thursday Next & Nursery Crimes books).
    The sixth Thursday Next novel, entitled "One of our Thursdays is Missing", is scheduled to be published in January 2011. He just began writing it (Dec 2009). So there is more to come.
    Fforde also plans a third Nursery Crime novel, The Last Great Tortoise Race

I am looking forward to Shades of Grey and have put in a request at our local library. Thanks for the recommendation!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3789693;
    The sixth Thursday Next novel, entitled "One of our Thursdays is Missing", is scheduled to be published in January 2011. He just began writing it (Dec 2009). So there is more to come.
    Fforde also plans a third Nursery Crime novel, The Last Great Tortoise Race

I am looking forward to Shades of Grey and have put in a request at our local library. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Woo hoo. I do like Thursday. I was just thinking of rereading the series. Thanks, Mike'sgirl.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3789635;

All I've done is look at it - haven't read it yet. I have piles of books sitting around here that I need to read. It's hard to choose which one to read next....then I go out and buy another one! The cover on the Ffode book is really good though and makes me want to read it.

I got sort of burned out on Thursday Next - the later books just didn't pull me in the way the first ones did.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

The consultants I work for were so impressed with the Agassi autobiography, they've been giving it to their clients. He wrote it with a Pulitzer prize-winning writer, and it's been getting rave reviews. I do enjoy a good autobiography and even better when I can get a free copy!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3781400;
    I finished The Help and I absolutely loved it!!! Thanks to everyone here who recommended it!!

I have started Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. I am not too far in, but I'm enjoying it so far.
    I read Her Fearful Symmetry over my winter break and really enjoyed it.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3779100;
    Mr. S bought me the deluxe hard-cover edition of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for Christmas, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through. It's pretty funny. I'm just at the part where Mr. Colllins marries Charlotte Lucas, who has unfortunately been "infected" - the accompanying picture is hilarious. I was an English Lit major at University, so a bit of a JA purist, but this has been fun to read just to see what the author comes up with.
    I just finished P & P & Z and really enjoyed it.

I've read two winners in a row and have to force myself not to start a new book because I have a lot of other stuff I've been putting off.
    I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I had been putting that off because I thought it was another women's book group/knitting group/coffee group type book but it wasn't at all. Loved it.
    And I've just now finished Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. I feel like I just finished watching an Opera. Deep emotion, unusual setting, art, love, friendship... I don't know how to describe it, but if you are looking for a good book to read, I definitely recommend it. The description of it (hostage situation) doesn't even begin to give you an idea of what it contains.
    Count your blessings!

I am next in line to read The Girl Who Played With Fire, by Stieg Larsson - so I have decided to reread The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo again. Does anyone know when the third book in the trilogy will be released in the U.S.? I know The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest was released in the UK in October, 2009........ just wondering if it will be reased anytime soon here.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Mike'sgirl; 01-10-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread