+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished reading Fallen and Guardian, the first two books in Claire Delacroix's Republic series. This author normally writes historical and regency romance novels. This is more an urban fantasy based in America of 2099 AD. Her main protagonists are angels that volunteer to lose their wings and complete assignments here on Earth 190 yrs in the future. That future is a bit dark with our society a bit backward due to lack of fossil fuels and several devastating nuclear attacks on various major cities in the world.

As a side note: I have noticed a bit of a trend in paranormal romances that are now featuring angels in their plots instead of vampires. Oh, the angels in these books are not necessarily all that sweet.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3780455;
    I'm reading the Percy Jackson series to see if they're something my daughter can read and, so far, I'm enjoying them. Loved reading about the Olympian gods as a kid so this is right up my alley. They're light and fun.
    I can relate. Our 12 year old devoured these books last year and with the movie coming out and the trailer looking oh so good, we have now all read the first one. It's so fun and the Gods are wicked and fantastical!

FORT Newbie

I'm reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding.

I am currently a third of the way through Stephen King's latest door-stop, Under the Dome. I am enjoying it, but am quite disappointed that my Christmas tooth infection and attendant use of painkillers kept me from finishing it over the holiday as I now have to haul ten pounds of book with me on the TTC to work. The sucker is a back killer.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3782768;
    I am currently a third of the way through Stephen King's latest door-stop, Under the Dome. I am enjoying it, but am quite disappointed that my Christmas tooth infection and attendant use of painkillers kept me from finishing it over the holiday as I now have to haul ten pounds of book with me on the TTC to work. The sucker is a back killer.
    Kindle
    Count your blessings!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

While I LOVE the concept of the Kindle, I don't want to pay that much for a download. I shop used book stores frequently and often get great paperbacks for $1.99, you can't beat it. Speaking of which, I was at my local Savers/Goodwill type store and found the first four books in the Diana Galbaldon "Outlander" series. These books have been on my list since August but the holds at the library were too long and I was resisting paying full price for them. Yay, I got each one for 1.99.

Just started Outlander, squeee, it is so good. I'm so excited to start this new adventure with these characters.

I just finished reading Secrets of a Shoe Addict by Beth Harbison. Next on my list is Spackled and Spooked by Jennie Bentley.
    My Sister got a Kindle for Christmas. I think its just a personal choice. She loves it. I, on the other hand love the feel of a book in my hands. I love the spell of the paper etc.

I'm getting ready to start Twilight... after I swore to everyone who would listen the past year or so that I wouldn't ever read it. At this point, after listening to everyone I know gush over it, I just need to know what all the fuss is about. I do hate vampires though...

Next in line, In the Woods by Tana French. I bought it the same time as Twilight. Sounds interesting.
    Last edited by MissiS; 01-04-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MissiS;3782855;
    I'm getting ready to start Twilight... after I swore to everyone who would listen the past year or so that I wouldn't ever read it. At this point, after listening to everyone I know gush over it, I just need to know what all the fuss is about. I do hate vampires though...
    When you read Twilight try to keep in mind the target audience is tweens. I found it easy to get caught up in from that perspective and thoroughly enjoyed the entire series. If you go into it expecting a great literary work, you may be disappointed (no offense intended here, it is what it is).

I agree. I read the first one keeping my expectations low, but as I was working in a high school library I thought I'd try to keep up with the kids and their reading preferences...I found I enjoyed Twilight. Sure there were things that bugged me, but all in all it was a fun read. I plowed my way through the rest of the series and unfortunately didn't enjoy them as much. By the final book I was skipping whole chapters on Jacob and just trying to get to the end to see what the big outcome would be. I do know my two teen nieces loved the series though.

+ Reply to Thread