+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I started rereading The Help on my Kindle in the waiting room at the dr.'s office because I didn't want to start a whole new book with all the Christmas prep going on. I'm completely sucked back in. LOVE that book!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3769305;
    I'm now reading Lauren Willig's The Temptation of the Night Jasmine, which is kind of historical fiction mixed with chick lit. It's the latest in a series of books about aristocratic spies during the late 18th and early 19th centuries in France and England. They're just fluffy and fun with some actual history thrown in.
    I've read all the previous ones in that series. I agree -- they're light and fluffy, and entertaining enough, and how can novels about spies go wrong?

I also agree about the Lost Symbol -- I was rather disappointed.

I won "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" Friday at a white elephant gift exchange, so I'm looking forward to that take on one of my favorite books.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I finished Elizabeth Noble's The Girl Next Door this morning and actually went to Borders and *gasp* bought her first book, The Reading Group, at full price. What can I say? I had a moment of weakness. It looks like they released all of her books in the US, but they were released in the UK first. This new one may be the first that is being released in both places at the same time

Anyway, I really liked The Girl Next Door - kind of a combo of Maeve Binchy and Jane Green. How can you go wrong? With all the craziness of the holidays, I'd rather be reading some light, non-taxing stuff.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Help! Any Tom Robbins fans out there? I'm looking for a book that I'm 99.9% sure is his that I read a long time ago. By my memory, it starts out with someone getting off (a bus? a plane?) in a place where it's raining (Seattle?). There are 2 observations that have always stuck with me - one about walking in the rain without an umbrella and one about walking fast without "rushing". That's all I remember about the book. Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
    Count your blessings!

I just finished Paul of Dune by Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert, another post James Herbert foray into the Dune universe. It was just OK as some of the characters were barely given any personality at all. These books are more like comfort food than a fabulous gourmet meal.

I also finished How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. It's a pretty interesting YA book about an American teenager sent to live with her English cousins when war breaks out. I didn't think it was as good as some of the internet reviews I've read, but it was an interesting book.

Finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
    I did like it and would recommend it, but I did find it overly long and not particularly believable.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Just finished Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games. This is an excellent YA novel - absolutely surpassed my expectations and I highly recommend it for both younger readers and adults. My daughter wisely bought both this book and the follow-up, Catching Fire, at the same time so I get to return to the Seam with Katniss right away.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Mr. S bought me the deluxe hard-cover edition of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for Christmas, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through. It's pretty funny. I'm just at the part where Mr. Colllins marries Charlotte Lucas, who has unfortunately been "infected" - the accompanying picture is hilarious. I was an English Lit major at University, so a bit of a JA purist, but this has been fun to read just to see what the author comes up with.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and am pretty impressed with how seamlessly it seems to have added the zombies. It cracks me up every time they mention Lady Catherine as a renowned assassin with her army of ninjas! I went into it with a bit of an attitude, but it won me over fairly quickly.
    Wag more, bark less

I'm reading 3 YA books by John Green. I downloaded two on my Kindle and when I started to read one, I realized I had just listened to a third one on audio book from the library. I listened to Looking for Alaska, then read An Abundance of Katherines, and am about to start Paper Towns. The theme is boarding school boys behaving badly but having major life insights and being basicially good at heart. Essential question: What matters?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread