+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I read a bunch of Dan Brown books a few years ago when Da Vinci Code came out, and it took me a couple of books to vow never to read another. The one that really clinched it was the one about a team of number crunchers working for the government. I can't remember the title, but the big twist at the end is supposed to be this brilliant idea that only the mathematical genius in the room sees, but I could see the solution and I am nowhere near being a mathematical genius. Like, as soon as I read the killer unbreakable code I thought to myself, "I bet it's xxx" and gee, that turned out to be the solution.

It was very disappointing way to finish the book. That and
    Click to see Spoiler:
    all the villains turn out to be some older, mentor person who really is secretly evil
    - give it a rest.

Whoops, edit for content: I just finished Stardust and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman. Good Omens was co-authored by Terry Pratchett. I liked it better than Stardust. Stardust seemed very one-level with no subtext, but it was a fun read.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I hate those cop-out endings too, hep. I may have seen the aforementioned "big twist" coming in this one if I hadn't been skimming at that point. The ending of this one was equally unsatisfying and trite and I hate it when he builds up to the big reveal and then doesn't deliver. This one was pretty lame. I wouldn't probably have read it at all, or certainly not in hardcover (although I got it for around $10, so it wasn't too horrible), if it wasn't what my book club is reading this month. Normally, the selections are a little more, um, literary, so this one seems to be the exception to the rule.

The thing I hate most about Dan Brown books is that so many people read them and think the things he presents in them are FACT. This is probably because he has that page at the beginning of his books claiming that it's all true. If I learned one thing in college, it's that history and art history are rarely cut and dried and, in art history in particular, there are numerous interpretations and a lot of artists who never said one way or the other what their intentions were.

Okay, I refuse to spend any more time talking about Dan freaking Brown! Back to my fluffy, girly espionage novel!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished one of SJ Rozan's earlier books "Concourse", and am about to begin Rainwater by Sandra Brown. It has great views over at Amazon, but for me this is a first book by Brown (Sandra not Dan that is).
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I just started Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh. So many FoRTers were parsing her, so I thought I'd better get reading! I also bought Baker Towers. I'm only on page 5, so I haven't formed an opinion yet, other than to say that the first 4 pages (2 of which, it must be said, are blank) are very well written
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'm currently reading The Flying Troutmans by Canadian author Miriam Toews. I've enjoyed her other books, particularly A Complicated Kindess and Summer of my Amazing Luck. She writes in such a quirky, sad and yet funny way, about characters that I find myself really rooting for. I know her style isn't for everyone, but I truly enjoy her books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3769514;
    I just finished one of SJ Rozan's earlier books "Concourse", and am about to begin Rainwater by Sandra Brown. It has great views over at Amazon, but for me this is a first book by Brown (Sandra not Dan that is).
    Mike's girl,

What did you think of Concourse?
    I read it quite a while ago.
    I've been reading Sandra Brown's mysteries for years. I'm not really into romances, but she does a great job on those, too, from what I've heard. I'm going to reserve her new murder mystery at my library. I love those. New one is Smash Cut.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 12-17-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I finished Mrs. Kimble this afternoon. Thanks to the folks here who recommended it! Obviously, I couldn't put it down if I started it last night! I'm looking forward to reading Baker Towers too!

I just started Mr. Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett. I got it at the trade show I went to in October. The publishing rep recommended it as one of his favorite books of the year. Here's the copy on the back cover:
    The Great Depression. A time when the desperate and the broke head west to start over. Connelly is one of them. But he is not seeking a new life. Because out there, riding the rails, stalking the camps, is the scarred vagrant who murdered Connelly's daughter. No one knows him, but everyone knows his name: Mr. Shivers.
    It's officially in the fiction/horror genre, but it's much more well written than the average horror novel....no offense intended to Mr. Clive Barker, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3771722;
    I finished Mrs. Kimble this afternoon. Thanks to the folks here who recommended it! Obviously, I couldn't put it down if I started it last night! I'm looking forward to reading Baker Towers too!
    So glad you liked it, isn't she an amazing writer?

I just started How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. It's the story of an American teen who goes to live with her aunt and cousins in England when war breaks out, pretty interesting stuff so far.

I just started reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich (yes, I'm very late to the game) They are fun, fast reads. I'm on book 7 now. Grandma Mazur and Lula keep me in stitches especially the escapades with Stephanie's weapons and the demise of her many vehicles. I borrowed the series from a friend of a friend and I have up to 11 so I think I'm going to have to reserve the rest at the library!
    Stephanie is driving me crazy with her back and forth between Joe and Ranger. I wish she'd just choose one already!

I'll be looking for Temptation of the Night Jasmine- sounds like my cup of tea!

We went to parent-teacher interviews again this past Thursday and AGAIN the teacher's comments were that my kiddo should be reading more Non Fiction. Seriously if I hear that one more time I'm going to lose it. Kiddo is 9, she reads of her own accord and actually enjoys it. I do understand that setting goals is an important part of education but holy cow! she's reading for pleasure, leave her alone!
    I have her reading non-depressing articles in the newspaper then summerizing them. That might keep the teacher happy.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3772469;
    I'll be looking for Temptation of the Night Jasmine- sounds like my cup of tea!
    The series is lots of fun! Look for the first one, which has "Pink Carnation" in the title, I think. Any of the books should tell you the order.

Finished Mr. Shivers last night and WOW. It's not really like anything I've ever read before. Not really horror, but sort of. It's a combination of old west showdown, McCarthy's The Road, The Grapes of Wrath and a fantasy/horror book all in one. I couldn't stop reading, even though I figured out the ending well before I got there. Really impressive first novel

Now I'm reading something totally light: The Girl Next Door by Elizabeth Noble. It's set in an apartment building on the Upper East Side and tells the stories of different tenants. Very chick lit. Noble published several books in the UK, but I think this is her first one here.

+ Reply to Thread