+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 709 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149549 ... LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm going to start Homesick by Jenny Lauren tonight. My second memoir in a row.

FORT Fogey
    I'm currently reading "The Ingenuity Gap" by Thomas Homer-Dixon.
    The basic premise of the book is that the problems we are creating in our world are becoming so complex that the gap between the complexity of these problems and our ability (ingenuity) to solve them is widening. And the biggest problem we can create for ourselves is to ignore these problems instead of dealing with them right away (for example... global warming) It's actually a pretty interesting read, especially since he wrote it before 9/11 and I can look back at the book and wonder how he would have tied the that event and the resulting "war on terrorism" into his thesis.

No, really, it is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    I'm going to start Homesick by Jenny Lauren tonight. My second memoir in a row.
    I love reading memoirs. I don't care much for celebrity biographies - if I wanted to read about Oprah, for instance, I could just pick up a People magazine. My favorites are written by people who overcome obstacles and make something of themselves, or have a story to tell. For example, one of my favorites is "Kaffir Boy" by Mark Mathabane, which is a coming of age story about a young african man in apartheid South Africa. I also enjoyed "Angela's Ashes", by Frank McCourt, about a boy growing up in Ireland who immigrated to America.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

finished Relic.

Started on the journals of eleanor druse (finally got it from the library - hold list went on forever)

I went through this thread earlier today and cut and pasted to make a list of books to check out from the library based on the recommendations from you guys. Then I went to the library and it was closed, , so I went to Wal-Mart and bought the new Dean Koontz "The Taking". I promised myself I won't start on it until this next weekend, however. I'm attending a caucus in Austin, and I want to have something to read in the evenings.

I'm reading Mary Higgins Clark "Night time is My Time" right now, but I'm not too into it. She used to be one of my favorite authors, but lately her books seem recycled.

You like memoirs, right? Have you read any of Mary Karr's? She wrote The Liar's Club and Cherry. I think they really stand out from other memoirs for their sharp, unsentimental wit and superior writing; however, they are rather gritty, so I don't know if it's within your taste if you enjoy something more uplifting.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Yes, I did read Mary Karrs' The Liar's Club, but I haven't read Cherry. Those are the types of Memoirs I like to read, and I don't really know why, it just seems fascinating to peek into someone else's life.

Just finished The 5 People You Meet In Heaven -- Good book, different story, however, I didn't like the ending, I felt that it was a bit too abrupt.
    I am starting Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom tonight (same author like The 5 People You Meet In Heaven).
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Just started "Cradle And All" by James Patterson.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I finally finished Halfling's Gem! HOORAY!!!

I should soooo throw a party every time I finish a great book! I think it's about time that I started reading another Salvatore or get on track for school next year it Great Expectations or 1984 or something.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread