+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

AJane, I'd definitely check out The Dirt. I read it during last Christmas break. You will have pick your jaw up off the floor with the antics they reveal went on in the 80s.

I finished The Swan Thieves this afternoon and OMG, it totally blows The Historian away for me (and I really liked The Historian). Maybe it's because this book is very art-centered and, not only that but centered on late 19th century art, which is my favorite historical/artistic period. Kostova's writing style is the same with both books, but this one had a more satisfying ending and the characters felt more fleshed out. Definitely a

I'm blowing through Nelson DeMille's Gold Coast. After a few more serious books, I thought I'd read some fluffy thriller stuff. Next up (speaking of fluff) is Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3762130;
    I finished Lit this morning after staying up late to read and then waking up this morning and picking it back up again. Really fantastic read! I'm definitely going to pick up her first two memoirs now.

I just started The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova. I enjoyed The Historian, so I'm looking forward to this one:

The official release date isn't for another month or so, but I'll be interested to hear what other FoRTers think about it, since there were a lot of differing opinions about The Historian.
    I've got an early copy of that too, Crit, and I LOVED The Historian.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I've gotten about halfway through The Swan Thieves and really have not gotten into it. It's just a totally different feel -- I loved the spooky dark feel of The Historian, and it's not here. The mystery is very slow to unravel -- I finally put the book down before I got to it, really, although I'll go back eventually. It just didn't grab me the way the Historian did.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I remembered that you liked The Historian more than I did, Lucy. That's the thing I like about discussing them - we all have different tastes. Because of my art history background, The Swan Thieves just spoke to me more. The mystery in this one wrapped up in a more satisfying manner for me too.

I'm already 300 pages into the Nelson DeMille I picked up yesterday. I always forget how quick his books are!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Ready for another laugh? Go to amazon and search "The Secret" in books. The first (5 star) review had me going. Then it had me laughing. Oh dear.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3767223;
    Ready for another laugh? Go to amazon and search "The Secret" in books. The first (5 star) review had me going. Then it had me laughing. Oh dear.
    That's hilarious, Gut! Even the comments were pretty funny. I can spend hours just reading the reviews on Amazon. There are some seriously funny people writing reviews there.

ETA: About The Secret (which I think is pretty much a pile of manure): my cousin bought it a few years ago and got really sucked in by it, to the point of talking to her kids, who were 4 and 7, about it. The 7-year old started asking the universe for all kinds of things, to no avail. He finally just asked his grandma for it and that worked much better. He decided that asking the universe for things is much less efficient than asking grandma
    Last edited by Critical; 12-12-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3765569;
    I remembered that you liked The Historian more than I did, Lucy. That's the thing I like about discussing them - we all have different tastes. Because of my art history background, The Swan Thieves just spoke to me more. The mystery in this one wrapped up in a more satisfying manner for me too.

Well, good, I'm glad you liked it. I think I might have just missed the vampires.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3767583;
    Well, good, I'm glad you liked it. I think I might have just missed the vampires.
    Yeah, vampires wouldn't really fit into the new book, would they? I can't see a vamp wandering around the French countryside while everyone is painting!

I just started Brown's The Lost Symbol last night. I hadn't intended to read it so soon, but a book club I belong to is reading it. I enjoyed the first two books of the Langdon series fine. Brown isn't so great with endings and his research is faulty, especially where art history is concerned. I had a prof at school who did a lecture series on (and I'm paraphrasing) why The DaVinci Code is a pile of crap. She's a Renaissance art historian, so she couldn't even read the book for the story. Still, I think he tells a good story that moves quickly. I try to ignore the other stuff and I hope he ends this one in a more satisfying way.

Amazingly enough, I DON'T see Tom Hanks when I read the book. Thank GOD! Normally, when a book is made into a TV series or a movie, I end up imagining the actor as the character. I'm glad that didn't happen this time. The Langdon of my imagination is much hotter

Next, I'm going to read Last Words by George Carlin. I bought it for my dad for Christmas and want to give it a read before I wrap it up!
    Last edited by Critical; 12-14-2009 at 04:25 AM.

Crit I hope you'll update us when you finish I bought The Lost Symbol, but right now it's still sitting on the shelf. I really liked both DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons (A & D was my favorite of the two). I know this one didn't get great reviews, but then I suppose neither did DaVinci. Thank goodness I don't know enough historical details to have these books ruined for me, I can just enjoy the fast pace and interesting stories
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3768268;
    Crit I hope you'll update us when you finish I bought The Lost Symbol, but right now it's still sitting on the shelf. I really liked both DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons (A & D was my favorite of the two). I know this one didn't get great reviews, but then I suppose neither did DaVinci. Thank goodness I don't know enough historical details to have these books ruined for me, I can just enjoy the fast pace and interesting stories
    Okay, I just finished it this morning and.....meh. I wanted to like it more than I did and I really tried to keep an open mind in light of my feelings about his previous Langdon books, which I enjoyed, but thought ended weakly and weren't totally solid in their scholarship. I thought this one - even more than the previous two - had WAY too much expository information, to the point that there would be one paragraph of actual action, followed by a page of the characters talking about academic theories. There was also too much religious "hoodeehoo" for my taste and I , frankly, think noetic science may just be a big pile of manure.

There was one pretty good twist near the end, but the other "twists" were things I saw coming miles away. Part of me doesn't want to go to my book club meeting because I'm sort of just over this book, but I'm curious about whether anyone else felt the same way. So yeah, I'd rate it no higher than a "C".

I'm now reading Lauren Willig's The Temptation of the Night Jasmine, which is kind of historical fiction mixed with chick lit. It's the latest in a series of books about aristocratic spies during the late 18th and early 19th centuries in France and England. They're just fluffy and fun with some actual history thrown in.

+ Reply to Thread