+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Just finishing The Heroin Diaries, Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue's real-life account of a year of herion addiction and being a rock star. Well if reading Motley Crue's The Dirt last year contributed to grey hair, this one finished the process. Rough but illuminating read.

MRD

I can't wait to read for fun again. I'm trolling the thread to pick up some reccomendations once my finals are over. I plan to spend the entire month of break reading fun stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I can't find anywhere else to post this, but I was tooling around at amazon.com this morning and wanted to read customer reviews about Palin's book. The first one is hysterical! S/he gives it 5 stars and then proceeds to give a very tongue in cheek review. If you have a minute to spare, check it out. Everyone can use a good laugh.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3763030;
    I can't find anywhere else to post this, but I was tooling around at amazon.com this morning and wanted to read customer reviews about Palin's book. The first one is hysterical! S/he gives it 5 stars and then proceeds to give a very tongue in cheek review. If you have a minute to spare, check it out. Everyone can use a good laugh.
    That one is hilarious, Gut! Some reviewers on Amazon are better than the books they're reviewing! More than once, I've been practically in tears laughing over some review. There was one particular crock pot cookbook (can't remember which one) that had the best reviews. One of them was "Ham + Coke + ketchup = dinner? What kind of cookbook is this?" My favorite was something like "This cookbook has 54 recipes for beef stew. Was this book written by a chicken?"

Note to all posters: this small discussion does not mean that this is a free-and-clear to discuss Palin in this thread, so don't start please.

I'm several hundred pages into Kostova's The Swan Thieves and, so far, I love it! It took me a few chapters to really get into it, but now I'm flying through the book. The problem I think some readers had with The Historian was the ending, so I'm crossing my fingers. I'll post a review when I'm done!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm reading (well, listening to on audio book) The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's kind of like a grown-up version of Hogwarts Academy from Harry Potter. You don't get accepted into the school until you've finished high school, so the subject matter is much more adult. It's a very entertaining book, scary, sad, and really funny.

I just finished listening to the audio book of Blue Heaven and really enjoyed it. It made the afternoon of chores fly by. I got a lot done I hadn't even planned to start today because I wanted to keep listening. I have no idea when I find these great audio books at the library if they're new or old.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3763030;
    Thx Gut, I needed that laugh!

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I just finished a re-read of Waiting a thriller by Frank M. Robinson. What I like about this book is the posit that Homo Sapiens were not the only Homo or Human species to have come out of the forest and to have survived to the modern day. An impossibility, of course, but he makes a fascinating argument with this work of fiction. I love thrillers that make me think.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Just finished A Touch of Dead, the Sookie Stackhouse short story collection that my thoughtful and incredibly awesome best friend sent me. Now I've exhausted the series and can't wait until the next book comes out. Time to start seriously watching True Blood from beginning to end.

Daphne7411, a few people have told me I have to read The Dirt...I'm not a huge Crue fan though I did catch their last tour. I think I'm going to pick that up next.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The Crucible

+ Reply to Thread