+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3756450;
    I read it years ago and had to keep re-reading the foreword to make sure it wasn't a female who was doing the writing. So, I do agree. It's still one of my favorite books.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of the movie? For me, it was a major disappointment. I felt it never captured any of the author's poignancy about his character. It came across as all gloss and no substance and the box office receipts seemed to mirror that feeling. I just thought it was another over the top Hollywood movie that gave me the same feeling as eating a beautifully decorated cake which doesn't taste good.

Enjoy the book! It's a treasure.
    I loved Memoirs of a Geisha also. And I was also disappointed by the movie - it was just okay and I expected outstanding given the material that they were working with!

ETA - I just went and watched the trailer for The Lovely Bones. Wow! It really looks incredible. It has been a long time since I read the book. I'll have to see if my copy is still kicking around so I can re-read it!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 11-24-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3756351;
    I just finished Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh, and it was just great. I finished it one day, I could barely put it down. It's the story of three wives of Mr. Kimble (they are wives at different times, it's not about polygamy lol). The author manages to make her characters come alive in just a few paragraphs, it's quite a gift she has.
    Oooh, Jennifer Haigh! I LOVED her latest, The Condition, and actually bought her entire back catalogue (including Mrs Kimble) shortly after finishing it. For some inexplicable reason, it's been standing all neglected and lonely in my bookshelf ever since. Will definitely pick it up now. Thanks for the reminder - and do read The Condition if you haven't already.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. Just finished it. Set in NYC in the 60's. The central event is a true one - a man tight rope walking between the twin towers. It starts out like a series of short stories of people from different walks of life and different areas of the city viewing this event. By the end of the book you see how their lives are all intertwined. Some really nice, deep concepts going on about all the ways there are to love.
    Count your blessings!

Bonk: The Curious Couplings of Science and Sex by Mary Roach. Incredibly witty and entertaining, and packed with interesting - and oftentimes bizarre - facts. I find myself laughing out loud, gasping and/or blushing every couple of pages. If you enjoyed Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavres, you'll definitely enjoy this one, too.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I have just finished Still Life by Joy Fielding, and I loved every page. A woman is in an accident and wakes up unable to talk or move. but can hear all that is being said around her! She finds out more than she thought she knew about her friends and husband.
    Still Life by Joy Fielding

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;3758680;
    I have just finished Still Life by Joy Fielding, and I loved every page. A woman is in an accident and wakes up unable to talk or move. but can hear all that is being said around her! She finds out more than she thought she knew about her friends and husband.
    Still Life by Joy Fielding
    Wow, thanks for the heads up. What an interesting premise.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

You are quite welcome norealityhere. Hope you get a chance to read it.

I'm about half way through Stephen King's newest, "The Dome," and loving every word of it.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I just finished The Year of The Flood by Margaret Atwood and it was a really compelling book. Her version of the future is one I hope I never live to see. Excellent "side-quel" to Oryx and Crake.

Yes! I went back and read Oryx and Crake again after reading it. It had been a while.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread