+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3754800;
    Has anyone read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold? I have seen a few ads for the movie coming out and remember coming across the book in stores but never giving it much of a glance. The movie trailer really captured my attention and I believe that I'm going to pick up the book tomorrow. Hopefully the story is as good as it looks.
    The Lovely Bones is wonderful! Parts of it were extremely difficult to get through, just because of the subject matter, but it is worth it. I cried in several different places, but once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. All that said, while it should be tragic, it isn't. It's about love, loss, grief, and letting go....from the perspective of both the departed and those left behind. I'm definitely eager for the movie! (Eat, Pray, Love is another favorite I'm really looking forward to hitting the big screen. I'm not sure how well it will translate as a movie, but I hope they do it justice.)
    Last edited by Katydyd; 11-22-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I agree 100% with previous posters - The Lovely Bones is a wonderful read. One of those books that stay with you long after you've finished reading it. CaliLily, I'm actually sort of envious of you for having the whole experience ahead of you. Not to give you unreasonably high expectations or anything...

I'm also a big fan of Sebold's other books - a haunting memoir called Lucky and a novel called The Almost Moon. Bleak, but unputdownable, stuff.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Wow, such high accolades! I just finished the latest book I've been reading, Tempted by P.C. Cast and am looking for something a little more mature to read (don't mistake me, I love the House of Night books!) It sounds like The Lovely Bones is just what I need next. I read some of the comments about it on the Barnes and Noble website and there wasn't a single negative thing I came across.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3754953;
    I'm also a big fan of Sebold's other books - a haunting memoir called Lucky and a novel called The Almost Moon. Bleak, but unputdownable, stuff.
    Absolutely agree. I read The Almost Moon last year and could not put it down.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I thought The Lovely Bones was such a wonderful book. It's wonderful when an author can take an absolutely awful event and manage to write a book that isn't depressing.

I finished Grave Secrets by Charlaine Harris and it was all that I thought it would be. It was a nice ending to the Harper/Tolliver series.

I'm back to reading Irving's Last Night in Twisted River after having taken a break to read The Hemingses of Monticello by Annette Gordon-Reed. The book details the lives of the Hemings family, all of whom were slaves owned by Thomas Jefferson. My emphasis in college was European history, so it was fun to get into some American history. So many things I didn't know! I definitely recommend it for the history buff - it's a Pulitzer and National Book Award winner - but it's tough going if you don't like reading history.

The first 100 pages of Last Night in Twisted River were slow going, but now I'm flying through the book. I love Irving's writing and I know I'll be sad to finish it and leave his "world."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh, and it was just great. I finished it one day, I could barely put it down. It's the story of three wives of Mr. Kimble (they are wives at different times, it's not about polygamy lol). The author manages to make her characters come alive in just a few paragraphs, it's quite a gift she has.

I just finished The Revenant by Carolyn Haines. Great murder mystery, very enjoyable.RT Book Reviews - Review of REVENANT by Carolyn Haines

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3756351;
    I just finished Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh, and it was just great. I finished it one day, I could barely put it down. It's the story of three wives of Mr. Kimble (they are wives at different times, it's not about polygamy lol). The author manages to make her characters come alive in just a few paragraphs, it's quite a gift she has.
    Loved this book! Make sure you read her latest, The Condition. But Mrs. Kimble was definitely my fav of all Haigh's books.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3754789;
    Oooooh, me too. Did you read her other novel? It didn't measure up, though the first was a hard act to follow.

I'm currently reading Memoirs of a Geisha. The writing style is so lovely and elegant it's hard to believe that a real geisha isn't the author. A fascinating story and I plan to rent the movie as well, hope it's not a disappointment compared to the book.
    I read it years ago and had to keep re-reading the foreword to make sure it wasn't a female who was doing the writing. So, I do agree. It's still one of my favorite books.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of the movie? For me, it was a major disappointment. I felt it never captured any of the author's poignancy about his character. It came across as all gloss and no substance and the box office receipts seemed to mirror that feeling. I just thought it was another over the top Hollywood movie that gave me the same feeling as eating a beautifully decorated cake which doesn't taste good.

Enjoy the book! It's a treasure.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 11-24-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread