+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I've been on vacation and had some time to catch up on my reading. I started The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo before I left, and now I've finished it. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. I will definitely get the two other books as well.

Richt now I'm reading Novel About my Wife by Emily Perkins, which is quite a different read, I'm guessing it'll be a book I won't make up my mind about, until I've finished it.

Under the Dome by Stephen King. About halfway in (it's close to 1000 pages in hardcover!), I'm loving it just as much as I hoped I would. Would love to discuss it with my fellow FORTers and will start a new thread devoted to the novel as I know I'm not the only Stephen King fan here.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Just started Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein.
    For those not familiar with this author, her protagonist is a Manhattan prosecutor who heads up the Special Victims Squad in NYC.
    What I find really fscinating is that Ms. Fairstein always uses historical information about NYC that really leads authenticity to the books and gives the reader a wealth of information at the same time.
    Ms. Fairstein, herself, ran the sex crimes unit of the DA's office for more than 20 years. Law & Order: SVU modeled their series on her. Very interesting.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I finished The Likeness by Tana French this weekend. Great book, I enjoyed it even more than In the Woods. It reminded me a lot of The Secret History by Donna Tartt, and that's never a bad thing. The main character, Cassie, was much more likeable this time. She seemed too hard and independent in the last book. I would love for Ms. French to do another book and have Cassie's boyfriend Sam as the main character. It would be a nice trilogy.

I'm now ready to start Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris, the last one in the Harper/Tolliver series. I hope they get some resolution on their sister who has been missing since she was a teenager. And I can't wait to see how the aunt who has been taking care of their younger siblings will react to their new relationship.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Likeness I also liked it better than In the Woods, but am glad I read both in order. I'm trying to finish Say You're One of Them, but am finding it hard going.
    Count your blessings!

I read In the Woods and The Likeness back to back over the summer and enjoyed both. If I had to pick a fave, though, I'd have to go with The Likeness. Donna Tartt's The Secret History is one of my - if not THE - favourite novels ever and I am constantly looking for books that, however vaguely, emulate it. That's why I preferred "Likeness" to "Woods", even though I found the plot to be a tad improbable. Also, I really missed Rob. Would love to see Tana French reunite him with Cassie in the third installment, assuming there will be one.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I missed Rob, too. I downloaded Let the Great World Spin last night but haven't started it yet. Has anyone read that?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3753300;
    I read In the Woods and The Likeness back to back over the summer and enjoyed both. If I had to pick a fave, though, I'd have to go with The Likeness. Donna Tartt's The Secret History is one of my - if not THE - favourite novels ever and I am constantly looking for books that, however vaguely, emulate it. That's why I preferred "Likeness" to "Woods", even though I found the plot to be a tad improbable. Also, I really missed Rob. Would love to see Tana French reunite him with Cassie in the third installment, assuming there will be one.
    Oooooh, me too. Did you read her other novel? It didn't measure up, though the first was a hard act to follow.

I'm currently reading Memoirs of a Geisha. The writing style is so lovely and elegant it's hard to believe that a real geisha isn't the author. A fascinating story and I plan to rent the movie as well, hope it's not a disappointment compared to the book.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3754789;
    Oooooh, me too. Did you read her other novel? It didn't measure up, though the first was a hard act to follow.

I'm currently reading Memoirs of a Geisha. The writing style is so lovely and elegant it's hard to believe that a real geisha isn't the author. A fascinating story and I plan to rent the movie as well, hope it's not a disappointment compared to the book.
    That is one of my favorites (both the book and the movie)! I completely agree with you about it being beautifully written. The movie is very well made and follows most of the book well. As is with most movies based on books the movie could have put a few more scenes in to help someone who has never read the story understand what is happening. It is still one of my favorite movies though.

Has anyone read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold? I have seen a few ads for the movie coming out and remember coming across the book in stores but never giving it much of a glance. The movie trailer really captured my attention and I believe that I'm going to pick up the book tomorrow. Hopefully the story is as good as it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3754800;
    Has anyone read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold? I have seen a few ads for the movie coming out and remember coming across the book in stores but never giving it much of a glance. The movie trailer really captured my attention and I believe that I'm going to pick up the book tomorrow. Hopefully the story is as good as it looks.
    I HIGHLY recommend the book. It's really so unique and well written. It's unlike anything else I've read. You'd think, based on the premise, that it would just be crushingly sad, but I didn't find that to be the case. It's incredibly poignant and moving.

I'm excited to see the movie. I loved Heavenly Creatures, which Peter Jackson directed years ago (if you haven't seen it, check it out - Kate Winslet's first movie role), so I know he'll handle this one perfectly.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread