+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading Her Fearful Symmetry by The Time Travelor's Wife author. It's gotten mixed reviews, but I'm enjoying it ok. Not great, but ok.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3744713;
    I'm reading Her Fearful Symmetry by The Time Travelor's Wife author. It's gotten mixed reviews, but I'm enjoying it ok. Not great, but ok.
    I just bought that one the other night, Gut. Not sure when I'll get to it though with all these books in the on deck circle. Let me know what you think! Did you love The Time Traveler's Wife?

I just started Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving last night. I went to an event where Irving spoke last night and I was totally inspired. He's long been my favorite writer and on the very short list of people who, if I met them, would turn me into a blithering idiot. I didn't actually get to meet him (which is probably for the best, since I really would have either been speechless or babbled like a complete moron), but it was incredible just to hear him talk. It was actually one of the few times I've heard an author read his work aloud and it made me want to read the book right away. I've gone to a few readings where the author was so bad that I had to put their book away for a while until the sound of their voice got out of my head!

I know this one is going to take longer to read - Irving's books pretty much demand careful reading - but I'm excited about getting lost in his world again.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Has anyone read any of Denise Hamilton's Books?
    She has the Eve Diamond/LA Times reporter mystery series.
    I just picked up Sweet Skull and so far I'm enjoying it.
    Saw Denise at book festival last year and was intrigued by all the noms she'd gotten - Edgar, Anthony, Macavity - quite a feat for any mystery writer.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3744745;
    I just bought that one the other night, Gut. Not sure when I'll get to it though with all these books in the on deck circle. Let me know what you think! Did you love The Time Traveler's Wife
    I like TTW better than this one. It is a ghost story featuring two generations of identical twins. It calls for total suspension of disblief like TTW, but otherwise not much in common. It was a fairly depressing cast of characters. I was able to anticipate the plot twists far in advance. But it was worth the read. Not my top 10 since getting the Kindle, though. I'd be curious to hear from an actual twin who read it. We have a few here.
    Count your blessings!

I just finished Tori Spelling's two books. I have to say they were pretty good. Very fast reads, but she is a better writer than I had expected. She really doesn't seem to throw anyone under the bus, although much has been made of her relationship with her mom. Nothing seemed to harsh, and I still am not clear as to why Candi took such offense to what was in the book. Had I written it - it would have had a much harsher tone. Tori appears to have given much thought to what she wrote and how she wrote it. Gotta give her credit. And although I find the circumstances of her and her husband Dean meeting/falling in love quite yucky... she wasn't as tacky in the way she wrote about it as I had assumed she would be. She really is a talented writer. I enjoyed the stories quite a bit.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3745200;
    I like TTW better than this one. It is a ghost story featuring two generations of identical twins. It calls for total suspension of disblief like TTW, but otherwise not much in common. It was a fairly depressing cast of characters. I was able to anticipate the plot twists far in advance. But it was worth the read. Not my top 10 since getting the Kindle, though. I'd be curious to hear from an actual twin who read it. We have a few here.
    I can relate to some of the twin elements (though my twin and I are not identical) - just the interconnnectedness (which is apparently not a word) and having identities which are joint and yet not so at the same time. I'm only part-way through the book so I don't have a final opinion. Thus far I think the "life as a ghost" story was better told in Hotel World by Ali Smith. For anybody looking for a story about late teens/early 20s twins finding their way in the world I'd recommend Juno and Juliet, by Julian Gough.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3732989;
    Just finished "Dawn Over Kitty Hawk - The Novel of the Wright Brothers" by Walter J. Boyne. Much historical information about the Wright Brothers and other pioneers of aviation whose names are familiar and the books helps us kow why. Excellent.
    Thank you so much for mentioning this book! My father is a retired pilot and he is impossible to shop for. After I saw your post, I looked the book up on Amazon. It's out of print but I got a new copy for $3.00! Also discovered that Boyne has several other books which all sound like something my dad would enjoy.

I finally read "The Help" and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also recently read Pat Conroy's "South of Broad" which I had been looking forward to. It wasn't as good as his other books.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Juno and Juliet on CCL's recommendation. Really enjoying it. Interesting to read two twin books in a row.
    Count your blessings!

I just started Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris, (the last in the Harper/Tolliver series) and so far, am really enjoying it. I am reading it slowly, because I know it is the final book and I want to make it last........... but will probably be done in a day. I like that Ms. Harris always has her characters mature and grow before she ends the series, and I can see that happening already even though I am only 1/4 into it.

Looking forward to her next "new" series!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3744745;
    I just started Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving last night. I went to an event where Irving spoke last night and I was totally inspired. He's long been my favorite writer and on the very short list of people who, if I met them, would turn me into a blithering idiot. I didn't actually get to meet him (which is probably for the best, since I really would have either been speechless or babbled like a complete moron), but it was incredible just to hear him talk. It was actually one of the few times I've heard an author read his work aloud and it made me want to read the book right away. I've gone to a few readings where the author was so bad that I had to put their book away for a while until the sound of their voice got out of my head!

I know this one is going to take longer to read - Irving's books pretty much demand careful reading - but I'm excited about getting lost in his world again.
    Oooooh, I'm a huge Irving fan as well...what a wonderful opportunity, and I'm very jealous. I'm one of the few that really liked his last couple of books and I look forward to reading the new one. Please let us know how you liked it, I won't get to pick up a copy for a while.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread