+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

elk

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3730524;
    I just finished The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. If you ever read Oryx and Crake, she is revisiting this tale from another angle. It's the same event, the same world/time setting and some of the same characters. But the main characters in this one were minor characters in the other and vice versa.
    I loved both books!

I have recently gotten into Jonathan Tropper. His latest "This is Where I Leave You" is so funny you will laugh out loud. Tropper is a guy who writes about guys and 'how they really feel' about females and life in general. I highly recommend his books.

"Blame" by Michelle Huneven is another that has stayed with me for a few weeks. A young woman alcoholic wakes up in a jail cell with no memory of how she got there. She jokes "What did I do? Kill someone?". Turns out she did.

This book could have been a downer but I found it loving and several of the characters were wonderful people I wish I knew in real life.

I am drawing a blank on the author (maybe Grossman?), but the final book I'd recommend is a (very) grown up version of Harry Potter called "The Magicians". It takes place in New York and follows a group of students at a college for magicians and after graduation. It is pretty powerful. Hope you like it!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

The Hunt by Anne Marsh.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm in the middle of Steven Gore's Final Target. International espionage. Very butch and non-literary. A nice change of pace from what I've been reading lately.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Right now I'm reading Untamed by P.C. and Kristin Cast. The whole series is very addicting and easy to get lost in.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Premium Member

yes it is, the newest book Tempted in the series just came out. All I can say is Wow can't wait for the next one.

Hunted should be in my mailbox tomorrow and I'm sure I will end up making a trip to the book store to get Tempted before the weekend is over.

The next book, Burned, is due out in May. I already can't wait!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3742940;
    yes it is, the newest book Tempted in the series just came out. All I can say is Wow can't wait for the next one.
    PC Cast and Kristin will be visiting my local Borders in Fairfax, VA tomorrow at 7pm and will be reading from Tempted. I am planning to go.

I'm reading my way through L.J. Smiths Night World series. I just started the last story in the 3rd volume. It's not great literature, but I'm enjoying it. I think I'm going to read the Secret Circle series next. I'm also getting ready to read Kerrelyn Sparks new book in her vampire series. If you guys haven't read these and like that kind of thing...she's really good. Just read them in order if you can. The only way I can describe her work is....think Twilight meets True Blood with a twist of Janet Evanovich..

I haven't read any serious literature in so long....not sure I'd recognize it. At this point in my life....I just wanna be entertained.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3742991;
    PC Cast and Kristin will be visiting my local Borders in Fairfax, VA tomorrow at 7pm and will be reading from Tempted. I am planning to go.
    Well, I did go and see PC Cast and her daughter Kristin. Yesterday was Kristin's birthday. Tempted is doing well on both the NYTimes and USA Today booklists. Well over 50 people attended. I was surprised that the mom and daughter I was sitting next to had driven 3 hours to get here and a dad and his daughter 5 hours. The biggest fans were of course females ranging from about 8 or 9 to 50 plus. Lots of moms were reading the books their daughters had bought. I saw a good range of dads and there were some guys. Over all the group had read or was aware of the Twilight series, Night World, Cirque De Freak, and of course House of Night. One of the book store employees was doing a good job of warming up the group. Not enough chairs. I sat on the floor and quite a few people stood at the back. I was dissappointed that the author only talked briefly for about 30 minutes before the book signing started. The flyer had promised that the author would read from her book and that did not happen. I would have liked that and a bit more of an question and answer session. I figured since I drove out to see the author and didn't have any books to sign I would have perferred the drive to be worth my time. I did like the fact that alot of the younger fans thought Twilight wasn't all that and that Bella was boring and that she didn't do anything and that they perferred a heroine to actually do something like Zoey Redbird. The author did state that you should only believe the stuff she puts out on her website and some other websites have posted stuff about her books. It was interesting to note that her first House of Night book; Marked, has been optioned to become a movie. She mentioned that you don't get tons of money to have the rights to your book optioned, about $2,500. You do get royalties if the film gets made and does well. She said that the screenwriter is one week away from finishing the screenplay and yes, the timeline has been changed somewhat. Since there will utimately be 12 books in the series. There had been talk with the producers and screenwriter about combining the first 3 books into one movie. Of course the fans were upset to hear this, but Cast mentioned that once the book is optioned it is out of her hands. That she is lucky that she has a producer and screenwriter that like her and communicate with her as that normally does not happen. It is very rare that an author has any influence or say as to what happens to their work once it is optioned for a movie. JK Rowling of course being the exception to the rule.

Stark seems to be a very popular character and everyone wanted to know who Zoey will end up with. I like how the author said that since this is a matriarchial society what does Zoey have to choose. Good answer.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-05-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3743582;
    I'm reading my way through L.J. Smiths Night World series. I just started the last story in the 3rd volume. It's not great literature, but I'm enjoying it. I think I'm going to read the Secret Circle series next. I'm also getting ready to read Kerrelyn Sparks new book in her vampire series. If you guys haven't read these and like that kind of thing...she's really good. Just read them in order if you can. The only way I can describe her work is....think Twilight meets True Blood with a twist of Janet Evanovich..

I haven't read any serious literature in so long....not sure I'd recognize it. At this point in my life....I just wanna be entertained.
    My daughter loves NightWorld. The books remind me of that TV series the Vampire Diaries. I haven't read anything that "serious" for quite a while either.

I'm continuing to make my way through the Sookie Stackhouse series. I'm still very entertained by the books, though my head is starting to spin from the vast amount of minor characters that Sookie refers to meeting earlier in the series. I could use a vamp/were/shifter/other supes family tree at this point.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread