+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. The premise is that every god that any person in America ever believed in was personified and those who no longer had followers were left rather destitute, and for a modern twist it included gods of technology. A regular guy gets pulled into this secret world of gods and the story ensues. I thought it was a really interesting read.

I am moving on now to Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi.

I read Reading Lolita in Tehran for my women's Lit class in college and it is to this day one of the most moving stories I have ever read. When you're finished I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3739367;
    I read Reading Lolita in Tehran for my women's Lit class in college and it is to this day one of the most moving stories I have ever read. When you're finished I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    I haven't talked to anyone who has read it, so I'm glad to hear a positive opinion. I will definitely come back with my thoughts when I am done!

FORT Regular

I have that book sitting in my shelf at home and have never read it, either, so I too will be reading your review. Just finishing Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea and I'm loving it, so maybe this would be a good one to follow that. I also have a copy of The Bookseller of Kabul laying around too that I've been wanting to read.

I just finished In The Woods by Tana French and I was pretty impressed. I really liked the complicated relationship between the two main detectives. And I thought most of the supporting characters were pretty interesting as well.

Click to see Spoiler:
    My big problem with the book was with the murderer. As soon as that character appeared acting so vulnerable, beautiful, etc. I knew she had the male detective fooled and she was the killer. I didn't know how or why at first, but I knew she was a part of it. And I wasn't crazy about they way they made the gang rape victim dredge up all her old memories and the perps weren't punished, or even confronted with doing anything wrong. But all in all, a very good read.

I'm looking forward to reading her next book The Likeness.

I read that too and enjoyed it. I just felt that the ending left you hanging a bit. It hinted at a lot of things, and made you wonder.....

I read Baker Towers by Jennifer Haigh last night. And when I say last night, I mean I started at 6:30 and didn't stop until 11:45 when I finished the book (I did take a snack break and took the dogs for a walk). What an excellent book, I so enjoyed it. Her writing style was exquisite and the characters were just so wonderful and believable. I can't wait to request more of her books from the library.

I would have never read this book except that it has been mentioned several times in this thread. So thanks for another excellent recommendation, fellow reading FORTers!

Tomorrow's your last chance to enter Amazon's sweepstakes for the 10 Kindles! All you have to do is put anything on your wishlist and click the button that says "Enter sweepstakes".
    Count your blessings!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3740136;
    I read Baker Towers by Jennifer Haigh last night. And when I say last night, I mean I started at 6:30 and didn't stop until 11:45 when I finished the book (I did take a snack break and took the dogs for a walk). What an excellent book, I so enjoyed it. Her writing style was exquisite and the characters were just so wonderful and believable. I can't wait to request more of her books from the library.

I would have never read this book except that it has been mentioned several times in this thread. So thanks for another excellent recommendation, fellow reading FORTers!
    I actually liked her other two books even better: Mrs. Kimble and The Condition. I highly recommend both.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I'm currently reading Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji. I just started and it's holding my interest so far.

+ Reply to Thread