+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 714 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148548 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by StevieM
    Just started "Swan Song" by Robert McMannon (sp)

AWESOME BOOK. Similar to The Stand by Stephen King but, much better.

It gave me nightmares though.......
    Swan Song and The Stand are two of my favorite books. You're right about there seeming familiar. They have that apocalyptic and good versus evil theme.

So what did you think of "The Stand" TV mini-series?

It is weird seeing the guy playing Randall Flagg now starring in Law and Order:Criminal Intent.

The book is 100x better than the mini-series, as is usually the case with books-to-screen. And, I'm not that big a fan of Molly Ringwald, so that ruined it even more

Its never happy medium between books and films/mini-series.

If you base a film on a book it can turn out bad and vice-versa.

I prefer a book to be based on a film, then at least the book can expand and go into more detail and perhaps carry on from where the film/series left off.

Quote Originally Posted by rwaforums
    So what did you think of "The Stand" TV mini-series?
    ....)
    With all of the "stars" they had, the mini-series just didn't capture any excitment or fear. It was very lackluster. I only watched the whole mini-series because I like the book so much and I was waiting for it to get better. It never delivered.

Just started "Swan Song" by Robert McMannon
    I'm not sure if I mentioned this already or not. I'm currently reading Swan Song, too. I'm almost half way into it. It's really good so far.

Delphyne,
    Let us know how you like it and how you would rank it in comparison to other books.

Quote Originally Posted by rwaforums
    Night Shift By Stephen King.

A collection of short stories, just finished reading the first one "Jerusalem's Lot". Just about to start on "Graveyard Shift".
    I love Stephen King's short stories. They are the first works of his that I've ever read and, for me anyway, still the most entertaining of his oeuvre. I can't remember which collections they were in (I read them when I was in elementary school--yes I was a very strange child ) but some of my favorites were "The Mauler" and "Survivor Type." I read Everything's Eventual just last year, too, and rediscovered the joy of Stephen King in brief. He's really a master at the underrated craft of short story writing.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

SFG, you are like my literary sistah I'm a fan of Stephen King's short story collections too. I loved The Mauler too (they made a totally lame B movie out of it) and The Long Walk...The Running Man...The Fog...
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

*slaps a high-five with literary sistah AJ*

In terms of film adaptations: Yup, for every Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, and Shining there's a Mauler, Maximum Overdrive or Lawnmower Man.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread