+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished American on Purpose and it's definitely a My crush on Craig Ferguson has only intensified!

Now I'm back to Russo's Bridge of Sighs and I'm determined to finish it. That sounds like reading it is a chore and that's not the case. It's just one of those books that is not a fast read. I'm really enjoying it, but it's taking a long time to get through.

Meanwhile, I have DOZENS of new books piled on my living room floor just waiting to be read. I can't even imagine how I'll decide which one to choose first.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Just finished "Dawn Over Kitty Hawk - The Novel of the Wright Brothers" by Walter J. Boyne. Much historical information about the Wright Brothers and other pioneers of aviation whose names are familiar and the books helps us kow why. Excellent.

Sippin Safari by Beachbum Berry. Before that, The Widow Clicquot. My library holds come in randomly; the alcohol theme was a coincidence, lol.

Just finished rereading Oryx and Crake. I think I like The Year of the Flood better, but they're two sides of the same coin.
    Count your blessings!

Just started the latest Harlan Coben - Long Lost.
    This features the sports agent, Myron Bolitar.
    Mr. Coben is one of my favorite writers and after seing him in person at a book festival a while back, I'm an even bigger fan. He had a terrific sense of humor.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Haven't really gotten any feedback on this, but this week's Amazon sweepstakes prize is a 3 day trip to England to see Jonas Brothers in concert. It also includes luggage, digital camera, MP3 player and CDs/DVDs of JBs.
    Next week (starting Monday):
    TEN KINDLES!!!!
    Count your blessings!

Thanks for posting that, Gut! I'll have to enter next week's sweepstakes! I can't afford a Kindle, but I sure wouldn't turn down a free one. Plus, they're preloaded with some cool stuff. That Jonas one sounds like my worst nightmare! I could do with the trip to London and the new camera and luggage, but I'd skip meeting those kids. It must be a sign that I'm getting old, 'cause I don't find them remotely interesting.

I'm about 40 pages into Joyce Carol Oates' Little Bird of Heaven. It's amazing! The basic story is this: a woman is killed and both her husband and her lover are suspects. We see the story through the eyes of one man's son and the other's daughter. The story is told in first person from each of their perspectives. I love getting lost in Oates's writing.

I ended up with an advance copy of her new book, A Fair Maiden and I can't decide whether I should save it or read it next!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I picked up The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell yesterday and have just settled into my chair with a cup of coffee to get started on it. After the last book, I thought it was time to retire Kay, Lucy, and Marino for good; but as a Scarpetta junkie, I have to read it. Hope it doesn't disappoint.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Premium Member

Just started "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins based on all your recommendations. So far loving it. So thanks everyone.

I just downloaded 2 books on quantum physics because I thought it might slow me down a little. I've been doing too much reading and not enough cleaning (by a long shot) lately.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread