+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Encourage him to stick with it. He won't regret it.
    Count your blessings!

I totally with Gut regarding The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The first couple of chapters are very hard to get through, especially if you are not used to Swedish names and places. However, once you move into the actually story, it's hard to put down. I just finished it a couple of days ago and am looking forward to reading the sequel.

I'm chuckling to myself just thinking about the sequel. You're going to love what our girl's been up to between books.
    Count your blessings!

I'm currently reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo as well. I haven't gotten very far in it yet. For me personally it hasn't been that hard to get into, although there are many character introductions and different stories in the beginning. Then again, I really don't have to get used to Swedish names and places so maybe that helps me a bit.

I have been thinking about picking up The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and you all have swayed me! The reviews I've heard have all been very good, I have just been leary about it being a translated novel.

Have any of you read anything by Clive Barker? I have been trying to read Mister B. Gone but haven't had much luck getting into it. He is supposed to be a master of horror/thriller novels but so far it is just anticlimatic.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I just finished The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. If you ever read Oryx and Crake, she is revisiting this tale from another angle. It's the same event, the same world/time setting and some of the same characters. But the main characters in this one were minor characters in the other and vice versa.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3730480;
    Have any of you read anything by Clive Barker? I have been trying to read Mister B. Gone but haven't had much luck getting into it. He is supposed to be a master of horror/thriller novels but so far it is just anticlimatic.
    I read Imajica years ago and loved it! I haven't read anything else by Barker, but I know other people who've read everything he's ever written. I don't know anything about Mister B. Gone. There are some authors I just don't click with - maybe Barker is that way for you.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's been so long since I read Oryx and Crake, I decided to download it and read it again as a companion to The Year of the Flood. Interesting reading knowing what's going on in the parallel book!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3730671;
    I read Imajica years ago and loved it! I haven't read anything else by Barker, but I know other people who've read everything he's ever written. I don't know anything about Mister B. Gone. There are some authors I just don't click with - maybe Barker is that way for you.
    I've read pretty much everything he's ever written. Definitely not for everyone, though, some of his imagery is pretty intense.

I didn't love The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I liked it enough to be curious about the sequel, and I do plan to read it. It's a trilogy, right?

Gut, thanks for the heads up about The Year Of The Flood. Atwood is my all-time favourite author (though I stick to her novels and short stories and the occasional essay) and I will re-read Oryx and Crake before I delve into the new one. (I haven't bought it, I'm hoping someone will give it to me for my birthday. )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3730671;
    The more I read the more I think you're right. I tried again today and I just don't think I like his style.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread