+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Just picked up and started the new Sookie Stackhouse stories. I've got Crossers by Philip Caputo on the backburner.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3728082;
    Just picked up and started the new Sookie Stackhouse stories. I've got Crossers by Philip Caputo on the backburner.
    I just finished the Sookie stories last night! Then I had to re-read book 6 - the one about Hadley - just as a refresher! My favorite story was probably the final one in the book. I love Niall.

Even though I have giant piles of books in my living room from the trade show, I'm not reading them until I finish Bridge of Sighs. I am determined!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Has anyone read Anita Diamant's Day After Night? I bought it as a gift for my mom. It's not the kind of subject matter (WWII) that I normally enjoy reading although The Red Tent was truly one of the greatest novels I've ever read. I'm immersed in the Sookie Stackhouse series and I'm debating if I should take a timeout to read the Diamant before I give it to my mom.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3728610;
    Has anyone read Anita Diamant's Day After Night? I bought it as a gift for my mom. It's not the kind of subject matter (WWII) that I normally enjoy reading although The Red Tent was truly one of the greatest novels I've ever read. I'm immersed in the Sookie Stackhouse series and I'm debating if I should take a timeout to read the Diamant before I give it to my mom.
    I talked to a publisher rep about the Diamant book last weekend (she didn't give me a copy, darnit!) and she said it's very much back to the quality/feel of The Red Tent. Since that was one of my favorite books, I'm definitely looking forward to her new one.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3728231;
    I just finished the Sookie stories last night! Then I had to re-read book 6 - the one about Hadley - just as a refresher! My favorite story was probably the final one in the book. I love Niall.
    The Niall story was probably my favorite too(more details about
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sookie's night with Preston
    would have been nice), though I loved Pam in Dracula Night. You know, I'm going to have to reread book 6 now too. There are some things that seemed off to me, most likely because I can't remember all of the details about Hadley's "Unfortunate Incident."

Oh, and I actually found a mistake in Lucky.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    When Amelia froze John Roberts and Sally Lundy, it says that "Greg had both hands in the air in a gesture of despair." It should be John's hands in the air since Greg wasn't there.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3728629;
    I talked to a publisher rep about the Diamant book last weekend (she didn't give me a copy, darnit!) and she said it's very much back to the quality/feel of The Red Tent. Since that was one of my favorite books, I'm definitely looking forward to her new one.
    Thanks Crit! I have a few days before I leave for my mom's so I'm going to give it a shot.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Has anyone here read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?
    A friend of mine from the gym said he just started it amd it had come highly recommended. I know it was quite a bestseller in Europe, but Amazon seemed to have some mixed reviews.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3730111;
    A friend of mine from the gym said he just started it amd it had come highly recommended. I know it was quite a bestseller in Europe, but Amazon seemed to have some mixed reviews.
    I've heard good things, but haven't read it yet I think I remember someone discussing it in this thread though.

Because I don't have enough books from the trade show last week (not), I went out and bought Craig Ferguson's American on Purpose today. I ADORE him and just couldn't wait! I'm only 7 pages in and already love it. It just confirms what I already knew: he's the smartest, funniest man on late night....probably on all of TV.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3730111;
    I LOVED it and read it back-to-back with the sequel, The Girl Who Played With Fire. I would caution that the first chapter or so is hard to get through. Luckily, I was listening to the audio book for the first few chapters and then switched to reading it when I no longer had a reason to be driving a lot. But once I was into it, I was hooked. Like I said, I started the sequel within minutes of finishing Dragon Tattoo.
    Count your blessings!

Thank you, Gut.
    I had a strong feeling you might have read it, as I know you're a voracious reader. My friend told me that at first he couldn't get into it. So, he put it down and then picked it up again.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread