+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

If I were you, I would stick with either the series or the books and save the other for later. I wish I had just watched the series and left the books alone until sometimes down the road. As it stands, I only read 2 of the books and then I stopped. At some point, I will probably go back and read all of the books. I guess I like my "stuff" pure...one way or the other.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I am reading the next Tana French book---The Likeness. It picks up after the first book In The Wood, and follows policewoman Cassie Maddox as she goes undercover pretending to be a woman who was murdered, but whom she also looks remarkebly like. So far so good. I've only been able to get at it in fits and starts. The Likeness (Rob Ryan and Cassie Maddox, book 2) by Tana French

Loved The Likeness - enjoy!!
    Count your blessings!

I just finished The Ax by Donald E. Westlake for my Book Club group. Though it was actually written in the late 90's, it has proven itself to be highly topical in today's "downsizing " millieu. It's a very dark and highly satirical look at one man's attempt to deal with its aftermath. Would recommend it, especially if you like dark humor.
    Up next is The Fugitive by Phillip Margolin. Margolin is the the author of Gone, But Not Forgotten, a very good mystery. Can't wait to start this one.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I read Too Many Crooks Spoil The Broth by Tamar Myers. Very funny "cozy" mystery that takes place at an inn in Pennsylvania Dutch country. I read it because someone mentioned in this thread, so thanks to that person (I can't find the original post).

I'm about 1/2 way through A Test of Wills by Charles Todd, and it's very good so far. It's a mystery that takes place in the English countryside after World War I. I'm enjoying the very different perspectives of people who actually fought during the war and those who stayed home.

I read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn a few weeks ago and I don't think I posted about it. It was really, really good and I didn't figure out the mystery before the end which is always a good thing. Gillian Flynn has an amazing knack for writing about unsympathetic and unpleasant characters and making you care about them.
    Last edited by brunette trixie; 10-11-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Premium Member

I am reading "Jessica's Guide to Dating On the Dark Side" by Beth Fantaskey. Very good YA read, about a teenage girl that finds out (A) she was betrothed at birth and (B) her betrothed is a vampire prince and she is a vampire princess. Good book and a fast read.

This week's Amazon sweepstakes is a dream kitchen. To enter each week, all you have to do is put an item on your wish list. Any item.
    I just finished The Known World about a black slaveholder. Way too many characters. But I soldiered through and cried at the end. Now I'm reading Margaret Atwood's The Year of the Flood.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I tried to read The Known World several years ago, and just couldn't hang in there. I've run into several people who had the same experience.

Isn't that the book that got a Pulitzer Prize??? And for what???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Like I said, WAY too many characters and you never know which ones are going to resurface. But the subject of black slave owners was pretty interesting to me, and like I said - the ending was so poignant it brought me to tears. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it because it is hard to get through, but I'm glad I read it.
    Count your blessings!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

After reading the Sookie short stories, I've started Dan Brown's new book. I like it but find myself picking up on minute details, trying to figure out where they may lead...guess that's what I get for reading a "thriller/mystery".
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread