+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading Laura Childs' Eggs in Purgatory. Murder-mystery with humor and recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3716338;
    I'm reading Laura Childs' Eggs in Purgatory. Murder-mystery with humor and recipes!
    That title cracks me up!

I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I forgot a lot of stuff that happened, it was such a thick book.

I just got Bubbles All The Way on audio book from the library. I can't wait to listen to it this weekend, her books are always good for a laugh.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3712795;
    I finished The Picture of Dorian Gray over the weekend. Overall I enjoyed it. I was glad that I read the very dry introduction because it gave me a better perspective on the story. There were some minor style things that wore on me a bit (i.e. serious overuse of the word "languid"). Also, chapter 11 took some work to get through - the entire chapter is dedicated to Dorian comparing himself to works of art depicting evil, notorious members of the nobility, world leaders known for their debauchery, etc, etc, etc and it just seems to go on...and on....and on...and ON... The point is good, but I'm not sure it needed to be so endless. Reading the book actually made me even more interested in seeing the new film version because it is pretty open-ended and leaves a lot to the imagination. The book spends a lot of time talking about the fact that this man has done inexcusable things that have tarnished his soul, but there are 18 years of detail that is left up to the imagination. (I was disappointed to discover that imdb does not list a release date for the US - it started showing in the UK weeks ago!)
    ClosetRwatcher--hi.

I've read the book and I've seen a number of different movie versions of it. But my fave remains the 1945 Academy Award winning black and white version that won for Best Cinematography and Best Supporting Actress.

It has a superlative cast--indlucing the exquisite Hurd Hatfield as Dorian (Hatfield later became a victim of the "Commie Hunt" Blacklist in Hollywood)as well as George Sanders and Peter Lawford and Angela Lansbury (who won the Supporting Actress Oscar) --and the production design is so beautifully done I almost faint with pleasure every time I see it.

IMO this version comes closest to the book itself in intent and emtional/intellectual effect on the reader/viewer.

If you like the story I can't recommend this version highly enough.

It is so drenched with the idea of--and the horror of--the inherent evil of the main character you will find yourself wanting to take a shower when it's over.

I just started reading The Known World - about a black slave owner. I just finished reading another short story in Say You're One of Them - about life of the poor in Africa. They are sooooooo depressing I have to space them out. But it's important to keep things real and count your blessings.
    Count your blessings!

I've been re-reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I'm on book 4. love this series.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I just started Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo and I'm really liking it. I haven't read one by Russo in a while and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy this writing style.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3716167;
    I just started American Gods by Neil Gaiman. So far, so good but I am only several pages in.
    I bought that book after loving his Anansi Boys. Haven't read it yet, though, so I'd like to hear what you think of it once you are finished.

Brenda

Almost finished Dexter By Design - this one is much lighter on the gore and much heavier on the dark humour. Still pretty entertaining and I like that Lindsay is keeping the edge to the series by expanding on the plotline of the kids as fledgling Dexters.

Next up I start reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, can't wait.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3719625;
    Almost finished Dexter By Design - this one is much lighter on the gore and much heavier on the dark humour. Still pretty entertaining and I like that Lindsay is keeping the edge to the series by expanding on the plotline of the kids as fledgling Dexters.

Next up I start reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, can't wait.
    Nice choice! Have you been watching the show or are you new to the whole storyline?
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3719645;
    Nice choice! Have you been watching the show or are you new to the whole storyline?
    Brand-new. I plan to start watching the first season of True Blood after I get through the first couple of books.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread