+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I always have 2 books going--an audio book I listen to while doing mindless stuff and work and a paper book book.

I just started listening to Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and am really liking it. And I'm about halfway through reading Suzanne McLeod's "The Sweet Scent Of Blood." I got this title from Charlaine Harris's blog. I like this one a lot so far. With all the vamp books out, this one is yet a different "world." And I'm diggin' it.

FORT Regular

After waiting months and months on the library wait list, I'm reading Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. It's going to be a quick read and I'm liking it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3712908;
    Brunette Trixie,

I read this a few books back. Will be curious to hear your thoughts on the second half / ending when you're done. Please post. Thanks

I thought Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith was a pretty solid book, I really enjoyed all that info about living in the Soviet Union. And there were a lot of good action sequences,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    my favorite was when they were escaping the gulag train.

I have a few quibbles though,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I thought the "happy ending" didn't fit at all with the dark tone of the book. I wonder if the publishers pushed the author to give it an upbeat ending? And I thought the "twist" that the policeman and the killer were brothers was just far-fetched and really labored, it just wasn't necessary imho.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3714666;
    I thought Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith was a pretty solid book, I really enjoyed all that info about living in the Soviet Union. And there were a lot of good action sequences,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    my favorite was when they were escaping the gulag train.

I have a few quibbles though,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I thought the "happy ending" didn't fit at all with the dark tone of the book. I wonder if the publishers pushed the author to give it an upbeat ending? And I thought the "twist" that the policeman and the killer were brothers was just far-fetched and really labored, it just wasn't necessary imho.
    Thank you.
    I think we're pretty much in agreement about this, esp. your spoilers above. THat was what I was curious about.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I believe because he sold the rights to the book, he was told to create a happy ending for the movie version. The ending was too much of a "red herring" for me. It just didn't fit in wiith the tone of the book. Still, though, I did give the book high marks for the creativity / uniqueness of the story and the fascinating facts about Soviet Russia.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Newbie

hi!

I am newest but i relly hope that i will make friends and i have fun. the book that i am reading now is "New Moon" by Stephenie Meyer. her book was inspiration me and i start to write a book.

New moon by Stephenie Meyer is great
    Last edited by Critical; 10-01-2009 at 04:43 AM.

I just finished S.J. Rozan's Bitter Feast, (Lydia Chin mystery) and am about to start the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I just started American Gods by Neil Gaiman. So far, so good but I am only several pages in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3713813;
    I downloaded the sample of this on your recommendation and read it on the exercise bike this morning. I'm going to get the whole book, now. Thanks!
    How are you liking it so far, Gut? It took me a while to get into it - maybe 70 pages - but now I'm really enjoying it. I think Loretta and Sophia are my favorites. I like the little device of putting sections of the WPA report about Fermina between each chapter.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just finished Dark Slayer by Christine Feehan (the audio book). The latest in her Carpathians series. I like the fact that she is tying in all her characters and the couple is not isolated and only into themselves as is normally on par with her earlier books. I like how she has created this huge world and is incorporating culture, religion, world views and chemistry and magic into one package. After all most of the books are written from the Carpathias point of view and they are another species.

One little jarring note. The reader did Raven's voice with this really heavy eastern european accent and Raven was born and raised in the US.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3716256;
    How are you liking it so far, Gut? It took me a while to get into it - maybe 70 pages - but now I'm really enjoying it. I think Loretta and Sophia are my favorites. I like the little device of putting sections of the WPA report about Fermina between each chapter.
    I loved it! One of my students (who is fascinated by my Kindle) had read it, so we had a little impromptu book discussion between classes about it. It was so poignant and at the same time, funny. There were a few places it dragged, and I felt sorry for Rita and her "gift". Satisfying ending, though. I wish they would have had one more conversation with Nilda. I wonder how much she knew.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread