+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3712203;
    I finished the first short story in Pretend You're One of Them and needed something lighter, so I downloaded Flashforward on my Kindle and started that. We'll see how close the new show is to it. The book starts out right away with how it happened, so that's already a question.
    I am curious to know how you enjoy it....... I considered reading the book before the show started, just based on what I read about the book on wikipedia. I know the distinct differences between the book and the show are noted there as well, and for some unknown reason I held off on reading the book. The book's resolution makes more sense in the context of the lead characters, and I really wonder if they will chose the same path for the show.

Am not sure whether I should wait a while to read it or not.... so I look forward to your assessment.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Well, I read it all today. Very thought-provoking, but I think the show is taking it in a whole different direction. I think you can safely read the book without fear of spoiling the show. I can think of 3 or 4 major differences already that indicate they plan to take off on their own flight of fancy...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    no kangaroo, no investigatioin team, no mysterious person who doesn't black out, in fact cameras record only snow during the blackout time,starts right off with why/how it happened
    Count your blessings!

I finished Masterpiece a little while ago. It was darling and, of course, had a happy ending. The illustrations were so charming.

I'm just now starting The Gifted Gabaldon Sisters by Lorraine Lopez:
    Having lsot their mother in early childhood, the Gabaldon sisters consider Fermina, their elderly Pueblo housekeeper, their surrogate grandmother. Upon her death, Fermina bestows each girl with a special gift. But as the sisters grow into women, they discover that Fermina's gifts come with complicated strings.
    My mother read it and loved it, so I'm really looking forward to it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I finished The Picture of Dorian Gray over the weekend. Overall I enjoyed it. I was glad that I read the very dry introduction because it gave me a better perspective on the story. There were some minor style things that wore on me a bit (i.e. serious overuse of the word "languid"). Also, chapter 11 took some work to get through - the entire chapter is dedicated to Dorian comparing himself to works of art depicting evil, notorious members of the nobility, world leaders known for their debauchery, etc, etc, etc and it just seems to go on...and on....and on...and ON... The point is good, but I'm not sure it needed to be so endless. Reading the book actually made me even more interested in seeing the new film version because it is pretty open-ended and leaves a lot to the imagination. The book spends a lot of time talking about the fact that this man has done inexcusable things that have tarnished his soul, but there are 18 years of detail that is left up to the imagination. (I was disappointed to discover that imdb does not list a release date for the US - it started showing in the UK weeks ago!)

I just finished reading Dan Brown's The Last Symbol-it was very enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3712806;
    I just finished reading Dan Brown's The Last Symbol-it was very enjoyable!
    Was it different enough from the first two, or was it same old, same old?
    I feel like I get it already.
    Count your blessings!

CCL

I enjoyed The Last Symbol. In some senses it is quite similar to the previous Langdon books, but it does stand on its own, as well. Overall I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code more because of its storyline.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3712273;
    I just finished The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale, and it was just OK. The real life Victorian murder mystery it describes is pretty fascinating, but the book has way too many extraneous facts about detective fiction.

I'm about halfway though Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, and it's really great so far. It takes place in the USSR, and the main characters is an agent who finds "traitors" to the state. Everyone in the books is so paranoid, it makes me have the strangest dreams when I listen to the audio before bed.

I've just started Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris, and I mistakenly requested the large print copy from the library. I feel like I'm reading a kid's book, lol.
    Brunette Trixie,

I read this a few books back. Will be curious to hear your thoughts on the second half / ending when you're done. Please post. Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Water Music - T.C. Boyle

So far it is great. This guy is a wonderful writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3712399;
    I'm just now starting The Gifted Gabaldon Sisters by Lorraine Lopez:

My mother read it and loved it, so I'm really looking forward to it.
    I downloaded the sample of this on your recommendation and read it on the exercise bike this morning. I'm going to get the whole book, now. Thanks!

Also started reading (free) Benjamin Franklin's autobiography.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread