+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Recently finished The Help and now I'm reading The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. It's my first time reading a Nicholas Sparks book and I'm loving it!

I haven't read much in the past few years, but with my recent Kindle purchase, I'm now on my 5th book in a few months!

Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundmom;3708332;
    I haven't read much in the past few years, but with my recent Kindle purchase, I'm now on my 5th book in a few months!
    Glad it's not just me!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3708310;
    Yesterday I began Paradise Lost by John Milton. It isn't as hard of a read as I thought it would be, I'm really getting into it.
    Good for you. I'm impressed.
    It's great to read the classics, isn't it?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3708498;
    Good for you. I'm impressed.
    It's great to read the classics, isn't it?
    Thanks It is great! So much of what is written today is based off of gimmicks or an author just trying to make a living rather than writing something they feel compelled to share with the world.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3708512;
    Thanks It is great! So much of what is written today is based off of gimmicks or an author just trying to make a living rather than writing something they feel compelled to share with the world.
    I'd have to agree with that.
    Reading the classics does help with so many references that others allude to.
    I'm always impressed with those who read things that are not part of a required reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3708528;
    I'd have to agree with that.
    Reading the classics does help with so many references that others allude to.
    I'm always impressed with those who read things that are not part of a required reading list.
    Same here. That is why I find it hard to read method writers like Nora Roberts. I do every now and again just for fun but everything seems to have the same outline and the characters are all rich and gorgeous and have interesting careers.

Have you ever read Flowers for Algernon? It was the book that got me into classics even though it isn't nearly as old or well known as Paradise Lost or Pride and Prejudice. If you haven't read it you should try it, it is a great story.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3708537;
    Same here. That is why I find it hard to read method writers like Nora Roberts. I do every now and again just for fun but everything seems to have the same outline and the characters are all rich and gorgeous and have interesting careers.

Have you ever read Flowers for Algernon? It was the book that got me into classics even though it isn't nearly as old or well known as Paradise Lost or Pride and Prejudice. If you haven't read it you should try it, it is a great story.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    I have heard about it before, but never read it.
    I ajust may have to add it to my holds list at the library.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I Want My Library To Cover My Books!!!

I just had to get that out.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3708636;
    I Want My Library To Cover My Books!!!

I just had to get that out.
    Shay,

Aren't they in book jackets when you get them?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yes, but I want my book jackets protected, like the job that they do at the library.

If I want something like that, I can't believe that I would be the only one, and I think that they could make some money providing that service. I think that they need to learn to think outside of the box. Heck, they only recently raised the late return fee to $0.10/day, after about 30-40 years.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 09-23-2009 at 12:33 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread