+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Faces by Martina Cole. It's taking me forever -- thick book that requires close attention be paid because she includes important details in seemingly trite dialogue.

Alexandria by Lindsey Davis - the newest Marcus Didus Falco mystery. I love how the author brings to life Rome and the empire of 32 AD.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I promised to post a list of mysteries by Charles Todd, the mother/son writing team. This is from Wikipedia--

Featuring Inspector Ian Rutledge

A Test of Wills (1996) . ISBN10: 0061242845
    Wings of Fire (1998) . ISBN10: 0312965680
    Search the Dark(1999) . ISBN10: 0312971281
    Legacy of the Dead (2000) . ISBN10: 0553583158
    Watchers of Time (2001) . ISBN10: 0553583166
    A Fearsome Doubt (2002) . ISBN10: 0553583174
    A Cold Treachery (2005) . ISBN10: 0553586610
    A Long Shadow (2006) . ISBN10: 0060786736
    A False Mirror (2007) . ISBN10: 0060786736
    A Pale Horse (2008) . ISBN10: 0061233560
    A Matter of Justice (2009) . ISBN10: 0061233595
    The Red Door (2010)

Featuring Francesca Hatton

The Murder Stone (2003)
    Featuring Bess Crawford

A Duty to the Dead (2009)

I have read most of them excfept for the two most recent ones.

I can't recommend this author highly enough for the evocation of post WW1 England and how the war affected everyone in that country.

The main character--Inspector Ian Rutledge--fought in the trenches in the war and comes home with a terrible secret that affects hi life every day in many ways.

If anyone reads any of these books I'd be interested in what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia;3700044;
    Just finished reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" - there seem to have been so many "club" or "society" books lately, that when this was lent to me, I was prepared for a light fluffy read, but this was so good. It's set in the island of Guernsey (the Channel Islands) just after the 2nd world war and I learned so much about what happened in Guernsey. The protagonist is an author called Julia who is looking for inspiration for a new book to write and gets a letter from this guy in Guernsey asking if she could get him a copy of a certain book - the book goes from there..the whole story is told in letters between Julia and her editor, best friend, and the different characters in Guernsey. After I read it, I bought a copy for a friend of mine, and one for my mum, and they have since passed the book on. Loved it.
    I also loved this book. I thought it would be a piece of popular fluff, but like you, I was pleasantly surprised. I still thought about the characters and "lived" inside this book for days after I finished it. It's now available in mass market paperback.

I've recently downloaded a lot of free sample chapters on my Kindle and am reading through those to pick my next read. I just finished the sample for the Pirate's Daughter. It ended in mid-sentence! Cheap trick.
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just finished "The Lost Symbol," Dan Brown's newest book. I loved "The Da Vinci Code," and liked "Angels & Demons" (although I thought parts of it were way too unbelievable). Having lived in Baltimore for many years and visited all the sites mentioned in DC, I really enjoyed the book.

And, yes, I kept visualizing Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon. Wonder who they'll get to round out the cast!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Act Like A Lady....Think Like A Man by Steve Harvey. Having been raised in a family that is majority female, I gave birth to the first boy in our family in 36 years. I'm hoping that this will help me understand him better.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3708024;
    Act Like A Lady....Think Like A Man by Steve Harvey. Having been raised in a family that is majority female, I gave birth to the first boy in our family in 36 years. I'm hoping that this will help me understand him better.
    Love this book and Steve Harvey.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I've downloaded a lot of free samples on my Kindle and have been reading them, hoping to get caught up in something fun. As recommended here, I started the sample of The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane while on the exercise bike this morning and finally got a hit. I downloaded the full book and am now deep in it. Thanks to whoever recommended it!
    Count your blessings!

Yesterday I began Paradise Lost by John Milton. It isn't as hard of a read as I thought it would be, I'm really getting into it.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread