+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

A student of mine is reading Alison Who Went Away - about the girl who was just found who had been kidnapped years ago and had two kids. That was fast!!!!
    Count your blessings!

I finally finished The Book Thief. I have (sadly) not had much time reading time lately, and honestly I think I was dragging this one out because I didn't want it to end. I find it amazing when a book can tell you point-blank what is going to happen and it is so good that this knowledge has no effect on your feeling about whether you want the events to transpire this was or not. It was an amazing story and I highly recommend it!!

I just started The Picture of Dorian Gray. I have wanted to read it for years, but I figured I better hurry up when I found out they are releasing a new film version of the story this year. I decided to read the Introduction, which turned out to be so stinkin' long I am still in the middle of it!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3703778;
    I finally finished The Book Thief. I have (sadly) not had much time reading time lately, and honestly I think I was dragging this one out because I didn't want it to end. I find it amazing when a book can tell you point-blank what is going to happen and it is so good that this knowledge has no effect on your feeling about whether you want the events to transpire this was or not. It was an amazing story and I highly recommend it!!

I just started The Picture of Dorian Gray. I have wanted to read it for years, but I figured I better hurry up when I found out they are releasing a new film version of the story this year. I decided to read the Introduction, which turned out to be so stinkin' long I am still in the middle of it!
    I have both of these on my Kindle! I'll start one tonight.
    Count your blessings!

Yikes!

The library just informed me that the new Janet Evanovich I had on hold has arrived! I think I started out about 550 on the list.
    I just had the new Michael Connelly come in this week, as well, so I'm going to have to do some pretty fast reading. I still have another 3 books on the hold list and they'll probably come in any day soon.

On another note, our library hosted a mystery author last night as part of our ongoing Mystery Author series. Have not yet read any of his books, but the man was extremely likable and did a great Q and A after his discussion. He writes a series that consists of Try Dying, etc. His name's James Scott Bell and his protagonist is an attorney named Ty Buchanan. Has anyone read any of his books? Any recommendations/critiques?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3703902;
    Yikes!

The library just informed me that the new Janet Evanovich I had on hold has arrived! I think I started out about 550 on the list.
    I just had the new Michael Connelly come in this week, as well, so I'm going to have to do some pretty fast reading. I still have another 3 books on the hold list and they'll probably come in any day soon.

On another note, our library hosted a mystery author last night as part of our ongoing Mystery Author series. Have not yet read any of his books, but the man was extremely likable and did a great Q and A after his discussion. He writes a series that consists of Try Dying, etc. His name's James Scott Bell and his protagonist is an attorney named Ty Buchanan. Has anyone read any of his books? Any recommendations/critiques?

Noreality--hi. The author's name rings a bell.

But his protagonist does not. I'll have to look up his titles to see if I've read him. I read so many mysteries I don't even try to keep all the authors' names in my head.

______________________________ ________________

A mystery author relatively new to me is "Charles Todd" a mother and son team who write about an English detective right after World War One.The stories give fascinating glimpses into the lives of many English people during and after the war. And I like their writing style too--very low key but highly evocative of subtle emotions.

I'll come back with a list of their titles.

I can't recommend their work highly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3704015;
    Noreality--hi. The author's name rings a bell.

But his protagonist does not. I'll have to look up his titles to see if I've read him. I read so many mysteries I don't even try to keep all the authors' names in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3704015;

______________________________ ________________

A mystery author relatively new to me is "Charles Todd" a mother and son team who write about an English detective right after World War One.The stories give fascinating glimpses into the lives of many English people during and after the war. And I like their writing style too--very low key but highly evocative of subtle emotions.

I'll come back with a list of their titles.

I can't recommend their work highly enough.
    Many thanks, Wind.
    I read a lot, too, and about 10 years ago, I started writing down the books I read, along with the authors.
    It especially helped because I read so many of the same authors.
    I just started adding in my own **ratings system this year. That also helps me a lot because, after a while,when you're a voracious reader, they all start to run together.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, and loved it! I know it is his debut novel, but for me it was one of the best reads all year. Half the book is set in the 1940's during WWII, in Seattle; and centers around the relationship/friendship of 12 yr old Chinese American Henry, and one 12 yr old American Japanese girl Keiko, just before and during the internment of Japanese Americans. It shows the cultural family development and evolution which occurs over the years within our country's diverse cultural heritage; of the love between father and son; between best friends, soul "brothers", first loves, and destiny. I couldn't put the book down until I was finished, and enjoyed every minute.

I am about to start the newest Jayne Ann Krentz novel entitled, Obsidian Prey written under the pen name Jayne Castle. A paranormal romantic suspense novel. This is the sixth installment in her Harmony series, which relates Krentz's Arcane society books (characters possessing psychic abilities) through common ancestry to those on the planet Harmony. They usually include a paranormal pet called "dust bunnies" which often provide humor. I am looking forward to it!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3704068;
    I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, and loved it! I know it is his debut novel, but for me it was one of the best reads all year. Half the book is set in the 1940's during WWII, in Seattle; and centers around the relationship/friendship of 12 yr old Chinese American Henry, and one 12 yr old American Japanese girl Keiko, just before and during the internment of Japanese Americans. It shows the cultural family development and evolution which occurs over the years within our country's diverse cultural heritage; of the love between father and son; between best friends, soul "brothers", first loves, and destiny. I couldn't put the book down until I was finished, and enjoyed every minute.
    I'm so glad you liked it! I thought it was so touching and found the ending very satisfying. I've read quite a few first novels lately and have been impressed with all of them. I think it's the second novel that can be telling: lots of writers may have one good book in them. I'll be interested to see how Jamie Ford follows this one up.

I'm really getting into The Four Seasons by Laurel Corona. Here's the text on the back of the book:
    Chiaretta and Maddalena are as different as night and day. The two sisters were abandoned as babies on the doorstep of the Ospedale della Pieta, Venice's world-famous foundling hospital and musical academy. High-spirited and rebellious, Chiaretta marries into a great aristocratic Venetian family and eventually becomes one of the most powerful women in Venice. Maddalena becomes a violin virtuoso and Antonio Vivaldi's muse. The Four Seasons is a rich, literary imagination of the world of 18th-century Venice and the lives and loves of two extraordinary women.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3704060;
    [B][I][B]

Many thanks, Wind.
    I read a lot, too, and about 10 years ago, I started writing down the books I read, along with the authors.
    It especially helped because I read so many of the same authors.
    I just started adding in my own **ratings system this year. That also helps me a lot because, after a while,when you're a voracious reader, they all start to run together.
    What a great idea
    I just started reading Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk, about a man who is brought to an insane asylum in present day Spain and claims to be Christopher Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3704101;
    I'm so glad you liked it! I thought it was so touching and found the ending very satisfying. I've read quite a few first novels lately and have been impressed with all of them. I think it's the second novel that can be telling: lots of writers may have one good book in them. I'll be interested to see how Jamie Ford follows this one up.

I'm really getting into The Four Seasons by Laurel Corona. Here's the text on the back of the book:
    Sounds familiar, I don't remember where I saw it. Our library doesn't carry it, so either I will buy it for the library, or get it through interlibrary loan.

Thanks for the suggestion - it sounds interesting!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread