+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading one called "The Dumbest Generation", and it's about how Gen Y is more technologically literate, but it's eroding other real knowledge-statistics like more people can name the latest American Idol than the Speaker of the House, the fact that even though more homework than ever is being assigned the kids are getting dumber, and the fact that very few kids read for pleasure these days. It's a very eye-opening read, and I just feel ashamed to be associated with these folks-because some people are like "Wow! You know SO much!" when I feel many of the things I know should be basic knowledge (the branches of government, the justices of the Supreme Court, some of the Cabinet people, and so forth).
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

has anyone read "the vampire diaries" ? I recorded the show last night but thought I might like to read the first book to get the characters in order.....is it really young adult type? or is it like Twilight where different ages can enjoy it.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3698143;
    I'm reading one called "The Dumbest Generation", and it's about how Gen Y is more technologically literate, but it's eroding other real knowledge-statistics like more people can name the latest American Idol than the Speaker of the House, the fact that even though more homework than ever is being assigned the kids are getting dumber, and the fact that very few kids read for pleasure these days. It's a very eye-opening read, and I just feel ashamed to be associated with these folks-because some people are like "Wow! You know SO much!" when I feel many of the things I know should be basic knowledge (the branches of government, the justices of the Supreme Court, some of the Cabinet people, and so forth).
    Trista,

That book sounds very interesting and true in a lot of respects.
    Can you give us all a review when you're done? TIA.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I just started Nick Hornby's new novel, Juliet, Naked and I'm happy to report that the Hornby of High Fidelity is back! I've been really disappointed with his latest efforts, but this is classic Hornby: funny, poignant, touching, and awesomely nerdy. He should always write about music.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 09-11-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3698551;
    I just started Nick Hornby's new novel, Juliet, Naked and I'm happy to report that the Hornby of High Fidelity is back! I've been really disappointed with his latest efforts, but this is classic Hornby: funny, poignant, touching, and awesomely nerdy. He should always write about music.
    Good to know! I'm a big fan of Hornby too. He's going to be at an industry convention I'm going to next month. Unfortunately, he'll be there the day before I get there and I just can't justify (but I wish I could!) the extra money for another night at the hotel and all the related costs. Maybe he'll be around the next day. I hope! At the very least, I hope his publisher has advance reader copies of the book available.

Still reading Lehane's The Given Day and still loving it. I've enjoyed his work in the past, but this book is on a whole new level.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. It's the second The Hunger Games book. I'm completely sucked into this story now and frustrated that it ended with a cliffhanger. Love all the twists and turns in the plot, the "big brother" theme of government control, and the futuristic spin on reality tv.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Fogey

Has anyone here read Philippa Gregory's "The White Queen"?

I usually love her historical books--my faves being the ones about the father and son who were breakout landscapers/botanists in the early 17th century ("Earthly Joys" and "Virgin Earth") but for the life of me I can't get very interested in any of the characters in this latest one.

I love British history and I usually find that Gregory does super reseach and is great at getting me interested in her characters and the times they live in.

But not this time.
    Has anyone else had problems with this book? Or--if you really liked it--will you tell me why? Maybe I can get interested based on what some other readers say.

As a writer myself I feel like a traitor to Gregory by not being interested in her book.....

I just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It was recommended years ago to me. I had a hard time getting started on it, but then I couldn't put it down. It progresses through time with 6 or 7 unfinished tales with a somewhat fragile connection between them. Then it reverses direction, completing the tales back through time and the connections are stronger. Hard to describe, but a fun ride!
    Count your blessings!

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar

Just finished reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" - there seem to have been so many "club" or "society" books lately, that when this was lent to me, I was prepared for a light fluffy read, but this was so good. It's set in the island of Guernsey (the Channel Islands) just after the 2nd world war and I learned so much about what happened in Guernsey. The protagonist is an author called Julia who is looking for inspiration for a new book to write and gets a letter from this guy in Guernsey asking if she could get him a copy of a certain book - the book goes from there..the whole story is told in letters between Julia and her editor, best friend, and the different characters in Guernsey. After I read it, I bought a copy for a friend of mine, and one for my mum, and they have since passed the book on. Loved it.
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar

Oh I also just finished "The Doctor's Wife" by Elizabeth Brundage - good thriller, but what really annoyed me and stopped the flow of the book for me, was that it was set in Albany, NY where I live and she said stuff like, "The doctor turned off South Pearl Street onto Delaware Avenue"....I know it's pedantic, but Delaware Avenue is nowhere near Sth Pearl St - and the book had a lot of errors like that in it. I had to keep stopping to think, ok - how did they get to here from here? How did she suddenly find herself on Route 20 when she's just been on this road...etc etc. Stupid to be annoyed by it, but really, if the author herself is from upstate Ny, you'd think she'd at least googlemap the roads?
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

+ Reply to Thread