+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3696058;
    Is that the book by Margaret Cezair-Thompson?
    My sister raved about it, and our library doesn't have it. I can't decide whether to order it from Amazon or wait 2 months, and get it when I next visit........

It's on my list now - thanks to you both!
    That's the one! I got it from a publishing rep a few years ago and it's been sitting on a shelf ever since. I'm so glad I finally read it! To heck with waiting 2 months - make your sister send it to you! Media Mail rate is cheap

I don't know why I didn't keep reading The Given Day the first time I picked it up because I'm really enjoying it now. It's set (so far) in Boston in 1918 and, based on the info on the book flap, takes place against the backdrop of the Boston policemen's strike. I've read several by Lehane before, but this one feels very different.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, so I'm officially excited now!!! I just made a reservation for The Pirate's Daughter with my library. There's only 1 copy and no one else has reserved it!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3695902;
    I was showing someone my Kindle this morning and they recommended The Fountainhead. I think I may have read it years ago in my early 20s, or started reading it and didn't like it. Has anyone actually read it and liked it? I remember it being rather heavy going.
    I read it in my younger days (college). Yes, it's very heavy going - kind of like Joyce's Ulysses in that respect - but it's a very good introduction to Ayn Rand's philosophy. I also remember going to the Nathaniel Branden Institute at that time where that book was their bible. The discussion about objectivism made me (and my friends) feel very mature. Not sure how I would look at the book / philosophy at this point in my life, but I would recommend it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3694236;
    Just have 40 pages left of "The Help" - love, love, love this book! I was #14 on the library Hold List, and thought I would never get it; but it was worth the wait. One of my favorite parts when Celia wrote "two slicer Hilly" on the check
    I have more library books to follow this - but right now......... nothing exists outside of (1964 Mississippi). Great book, so thankful that I have never met nor known a "Hilly".
    Wow, you're almost done. I'm almost 1/3 of the way through and am really enjoying it, too. Can't believe you were #14 on the list. At my library board meeting last night, one of the board members was mentioning that she's # 479 on the list! I told her I was in the 600's when I had placed my hold on the book.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3696204;
    Wow, you're almost done. I'm almost 1/3 of the way through and am really enjoying it, too. Can't believe you were #14 on the list. At my library board meeting last night, one of the board members was mentioning that she's # 479 on the list! I told her I was in the 600's when I had placed my hold on the book.
    Sounds like your library could use a few more copies!
    Count your blessings!

I got my library to buy more copies of a book (can't remember which one) when I called it to their attention how few there were in circulation compared to how many requests were noted. Doesn't anyone keep up with these kinds of things?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3696567;
    Sounds like your library could use a few more copies!
    Gut,
    Actually, this is exactly what hapens when you live in a very large, metropolitan area and the book is a very popular new book.

Shay,
    I am on the Board at the Library. We service tons of people and we have an enormous circulation. Our entire system which is comprised of numerous local and regional branches cannot posibly keep up with the number of residents we service. We would need millions of dollars to do so.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 09-10-2009 at 12:57 AM.

I wonder if you posted a "wish list" if people would donate new books when the demand is high.
    Count your blessings!

There is a "wish list" on Amazon for my library.

The various Friends' groups that our libraries have do, in fact, raise funds from the community, etc., in addition to what is called the Hot off the Press books. For the latter, The Friends' pay a lot of money, per year, for all the newest and much requested books. However, as with any extremely large urban area, none can keep up with the supplies demanded or we'd all be forced to close our doors.
    Our particular branch, in fact, was on the nightly news a few months ago in a profile that CBS did on the increased usage that our city faces with the downturn in the economy. We've, along with all of the libraries in our district, seen a tremendous upsurge in traffic to the library for books, CDs, DVDs, etc.

+ Reply to Thread