+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3691851;
    I'm several chapters into The Help and loving it. I wouldn't have found this book had it not been for the recommendations here, thanks guys.
    I'm so jealous. I'm going to have to read that again. Say hello to Aibileen and Minny for me!
    Count your blessings!

I just finished The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howard. A young woman inherits a home in Salem from her grandmother and learns a lot of hidden details about her family. At the same time she is tracing back to the witch trials the story of a woman's life from that time. A fascinating story. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3141970;
    We once discussed one of my favorite books here, The Secret Life of Bees. I just noticed they're making a movie based (loosely) on the book. Dakota Fanning and Queen Latifa are playing Lily and August. Unfortunately, it appears as though they are portraying the older women as younger women. (Queen as August, Alicia Keyes as June, and Sophie Okonedo as May. And, as if that weren't bad enough, Jennifer Hudson is playing Rosaleen.

Not sure I will see the movie with these major changes to the story, but I'm inspired to read/listen to the book again.
    I saw this movie last night and found it to be well done and quite moving. Now I want to read the book.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3690092;
    I find it harder and harder to write a letter by hand anymore. I print on a vertical whiteboard every day in my classroom, but it's true - everything else is typed.

I guess schools don't even use chalkboards anymore?

I picked up Hunger Games this morning. Thanks for all of the reviews...one chapter in and I'm hooked.

I also grabbed Strange Brew, compilation of supernatural short stories by various authors including Charlaine Harris(the only reason I glanced at the book), Patricia Briggs, and P.N. Elrod. I hope I'm not disappointed. Until reading the Sookie Stackhouse books, I wouldn't have touched anything like this. Now I'm almost obsessed with it.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3692197;
    I guess schools don't even use chalkboards anymore?
    New schools here are built with whiteboards because of chalk dust allergies. I'd like to know if anyone has looked into the whiteboard marker "dust" that collects underneath. It can't be healthy. It ends up on my hands, under my nails, etc.
    I just started "Cloud Atlas" today.
    Count your blessings!

I'm actually reading a book my mum wrote. It's quite funny because there are certain people and situations I just know who and what she based them on. And one of the minor characters, I probably would've thought he was exagerrated if I hadn't known the person he's based on.

Is it published? What's it called?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3693298;
    Is it published? What's it called?
    Yes, more information please! You can't just post something like that and not elaborate!

I finished The Journal of Helene Berr yesterday and, as expected, it was heartbreaking. Every time I read a book like that, I imagine that it's not true and that the person got away. I can't imagine the horror of knowing you'll be arrested and sent to a concentration camp and there's no way to escape that fate. It was beautifully written and I'm glad I read it, but it was so horribly sad. What a bright and lovely girl....I'm sure just one of millions of lights that were put out far too soon.

Yesterday, I read Cures for Heartbreak by Margo Rabb. It's YA fiction about a young girl whose mother dies suddenly and how she learns to move on. Very sweet and poignant. Oddly, her grandparents were in a concentration camp. What is it with me and WWII books lately? The book jacket made no mention of that part of the story, so it's not like I read it intentionally. Weird

This morning, I started The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson and am in love with it already!
    Here's the text from the book jacket
    In 1946, a storm-tossed boat carrying Hollywood's most famous swashbuckler arrived dramatically if accidentally in Jamaica, and the glamorous world of 1940s Hollywood converged on a small West Indian society. After a long and storied career on the silver screen, Errol Flynn spent much of the last years of his life on a small island off Jamaica, throwing parties and sleeping with increasingly younger teenaged girls.

The Pirate's Daughter features an exotic, romantic setting filled with gorgeous landscapes, old pirates' tales and hunting for lost treasure, all with an extravagant Hollywood connection. But most of all, this extraordinary novel is the compelling mother/daughter story of two women of color whose well-being and place in life are very much at risk. The Pirate's Daughter brings to life their story of star-crossed loves - great and tentative, doomed and promising - set within a larger clash of cultures and social upheaval at a time when Jamaica is throwing off it's colonial bonds
    Last edited by Critical; 09-07-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3692203;
    I also grabbed Strange Brew, compilation of supernatural short stories by various authors including Charlaine Harris(the only reason I glanced at the book), Patricia Briggs, and P.N. Elrod. I hope I'm not disappointed. Until reading the Sookie Stackhouse books, I wouldn't have touched anything like this. Now I'm almost obsessed with it.
    I'll have to add that to my list. I'm on book six of the Sookie series (Definitely Dead) and am now totally obsessed with supernatural fiction. Such fun to read!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread