+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

On the news this morning they said the Cushing Academy in Ashburnham, MA (private hs) is replacing all 20,000 books in its library with computers and e-books. They compared books to scrolls - a form of reading that is obsolete. Now you know I LOVE my Kindle, but this just shocks me. I'm going to try to post it on Current Events if I can figure out the whole posting schtick there.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3689996;
    On the news this morning they said the Cushing Academy in Ashburnham, MA (private hs) is replacing all 20,000 books in its library with computers and e-books. They compared books to scrolls - a form of reading that is obsolete. Now you know I LOVE my Kindle, but this just shocks me. I'm going to try to post it on Current Events if I can figure out the whole posting schtick there.
    It is crazy how books and literature are changing with technology. There is a book out right now that is all about how the next generations may be the last to learn handwriting in schools because we are using computers to type everything now, even in schools. It is weird to think that kids in 50 years or so won't even know how to write cursive (like most people today don't know how to do calligraphy).

Personally, I haven't gotten into the e-book thing yet but Barnes and Noble.com has a few free ones that you can download and try. I may do that to see if I like it.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I find it harder and harder to write a letter by hand anymore. I print on a vertical whiteboard every day in my classroom, but it's true - everything else is typed.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Regular

Has anyone read The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Peretta (author of Joe College)? I've seen this around and was wondering how it is. I have not read any of his previous books.

Premium Member

Yay just heard there will be a fourth book to the Mortal Instruments series that will be out in 2011 though, bummer. Am reading the Immortality Bites series by Michelle Rowen. (5 books in this series include Bitten and Smitten, Fanged and Fabulous, Lady and The Vamp, Stakes and Stilletos and Tall, Dark and Fangsome) Good Vamp Chick Lit series kind of along the lines of MaryJanice Davidson Queen Betsy series.

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3691221;
    Yay just heard there will be a fourth book to the Mortal Instruments series that will be out in 2011 though, bummer. Am reading the Immortality Bites series by Michelle Rowen. (5 books in this series include Bitten and Smitten, Fanged and Fabulous, Lady and The Vamp, Stakes and Stilletos and Tall, Dark and Fangsome) Good Vamp Chick Lit series kind of along the lines of MaryJanice Davidson Queen Betsy series.
    I am excited for the Mortal Instruments 4th book too! Did you hear that Cassandra Clare has officially sold the movie rights and they are currently working on adapting the series to the big screen? I can't wait!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3691262;
    I am excited for the Mortal Instruments 4th book too! Did you hear that Cassandra Clare has officially sold the movie rights and they are currently working on adapting the series to the big screen? I can't wait!
    I heard hope they get some great scripts and great acting for this, I would be so bummed if this gets screwed up in the adaptation. Am looking forward to her prequel series Infernal Devices.

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3690218;
    Has anyone read The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Peretta (author of Joe College)? I've seen this around and was wondering how it is. I have not read any of his previous books.
    Yes, and it's excellent. I've read most of his work and recommend it all.

I'm several chapters into The Help and loving it. I wouldn't have found this book had it not been for the recommendations here, thanks guys.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3691308;
    I heard hope they get some great scripts and great acting for this, I would be so bummed if this gets screwed up in the adaptation. Am looking forward to her prequel series Infernal Devices.
    I completely agree. Do you know if Her MI characters are going to be in the Infernal Devices series? I absolutely love Jace and the Lightwoods, it would be nice if she played around with them a little more.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3691859;
    I completely agree. Do you know if Her MI characters are going to be in the Infernal Devices series? I absolutely love Jace and the Lightwoods, it would be nice if she played around with them a little more.
    As far as I know this is about their ancestors, not them but since Tessa from the Infernal Devices appeared to Clary at the end of the Mortal Instruments series, there might be a chance of a crossover.

+ Reply to Thread